Some HO BNSF units.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jbaakko, Nov 11, 2006.

1. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

So I figure I should throw in some shots of my BNSF units. So here ya go.

BNSF #6460, the last H1 SD45-2:

And BNSF #7307, an SD40 rebuilt by GEC Alstom:

Both units being custom built from RPP shells, painted & detailed by me. The SD45-2 is riding on a modified Athearn SD40-2 chassis, and the SD40 rides on a RPP chassis with an Athearn SD45 drive.
  2. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Here's some more:

BNSF #801, a Dash 8-40CW, custom built from an RPP shell with a RPP Dash 9 gullwing cab, and an Overland chassis.

GP30 #2460, one of a rare few H1 GP30's. Its a P2K GP30, PhII. However, after completing, I notice that all ATSF GP30's got rebuilt with flat windows, not the angled version found on stock GP30's. I intend to retire this unit in the next few years after its replaced.

#1360, a GP7u, with a Topeka cab. I have two Topeka cabbed units, this one and a GP9u. This is an early shot (about a year ago), when it lacked doors, I've since added Cannon cab doors. She's built from a P2K GP7, with an Athearn cab, that was bashed to the Topeka style.
  3. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

These units I bought like they are, no constuction work for me.

Dash 9 #638, a RTR Athearn.

Custom built by Jim Drennan, GP9u #1681:

And my other Jim Drennan unit, an SD9-3, #6100 (to be re-num to #1710):
  4. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Last one for now, BNSF #9277, the lone H1 SD60M. This is an early shot again, it's pretty much done now. Needs a coat of weathering but...

I have MANY MANY more, but I'll add them as I go. Thanks for looking, and check out the 1st link in my signature for more pics of these units & more units.
  5. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Some great modeling, Josh.
  6. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

There all looking good Josh:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I'm more used to seeing an orange air conditioner on a warbonnet (are there any that don't?) but I've seen at least one photo of the situation you've modelled.
  8. KCS

KCS Member

I spy a Sergent coupler on unit #638. Are you just installing them as a test run or just on the lead locomotive pilots for looks?
  9. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Actually, yes, in the beginning, but there's a number of pumpkins with the AC units of the bonnets. I model a specific unit as close as I can, every shot I've seen of #801, it has the warbonnet Dash 9 AC unit (thats actually a Dash 8 style one, I couldn't find the matching Dash 9 one, without buying a full unit).

Complete overhaul. 1460, 2460, 9277 & 638 have them installed along with a handfull of rolling stock so far. I buy two of the EC87K assembled 5 packs every 2-3 months. Now that I'm getting my VA pension, I'll up that buying to 6-10 packs every month (or so). I love the protoype action of the coupler, and I feel it offsets the cost, & "ease", when you have to actaully pay attention to the couplers. The one issue I've run into is the undersized boxes designed for Kadee couplers, binding on the scale sized Sergents.