SMS Oldenburg

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Joseph, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Joseph

Joseph Member

Because I'm allowed to destroy and spoil as many models as I want (he he, good to be a vendor), and after seeing all those fantastic builds on polish sites, I decided to experiment with this armored corvette.
    First, the hull. What's your opinion? I've always found that the "paper hull plating", with many seams, doesn't look really good. So I went "multimedia".
    Car putty, sanding, anti-rust primer, again and again (about one week :roll: ) and here's the result...
    Could be better but I got tired of sanding :-D
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Well it's a beautiful looking hull Joeseph it looks hard work though.

3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Joseph, do you plan to sail it for real?
    I think it can. It looks great!
  4. Joseph

Joseph Member

Hi, no it won't sail for real:grin:
    One problem is that the deepest layer (paper) is somehow flexible, while the outer layer (car putty) is very rigid. So if you handle it without care, you have cracks at the same places as the joints between the paper parts.
    Here is the tutorial I used (in polish but good pics)
  5. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Wow! And your Pietropawlowsk looks fantastic, too.

Sure you don't want to translate that thread into English for us? :wink:

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Strengthening & Waterproofing Paper Hull Structures

One method that will strengthen the paper and is completely compatible with "auto filler" is to coat the hull with thinned polyester resin before adding the auto filler or bondo as we call it here. Thinned with 50% styrene monomer it will penetrate the paper thouroughly before setting. It also makes the entire structue waterproof. Bondo is actually polyester resin with a filler to thicken it (flour was used in the original) and will stick to without any problems. I know someone on Kartonbau that's making a ship model that could use this method. Couldn't believe he float tested in the bathtub, I nearly crossed myself..,

7. Joseph

Joseph Member

Oh yes you can touch it, I meant it cracks if you squeeze it in such a way that you would even damage a 'pure paper' hull !

@cdcoyle: it's not my pietropawlowsk and I don't speak polish:) But the pictures are self-explanatory...
  8. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Oh...well I'm sure yours will turn out just as nice!
  9. Joseph

Joseph Member

Most of the formers have to be laminated on 2mm cardboard. I had only 1mm thick cardboard, so I glued 2 sheets with this glue in spray. Quite good:

All the decks are ready:

Central parts of the hull flanks:

I always color the edges:

Home-made joining strip, as none is provided with the kit:

Sorry for the bad quality of pictures (webcam) ...
  10. Joseph

Joseph Member

11. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I have that model! Although I don't know when I will get around to building it. I love Blohm & Voss aircraft -- surely one of the most unorthodox design bureaus of all time! As a kid I built the old Airfix BV 141 kit.

12. Joseph

Joseph Member

I continue with the decks:

Lower decks

Upper stern deck

Upper bow deck

View from the bow. The upper deck is not glued yet, as I'm really unsure about the fit of the deck/flanks plating/underwater hull. I keep it unglued so I can make some dry assembly testing
  13. JHS

JHS Member

Brilliant job, Joseph! You achieved the same effect as using an expensive resin hull from GPM! Looks fit for a museum.