Smaller switching layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by GMRCNut868, Apr 11, 2004.

1. GMRCNut868

GMRCNut868 New Member

I have a currently unused desk in my bedroom with a tabletop that measures 54"x23". I was thinking that I could build a small switching layout to make a better use of the desk. I dont have all the time in the world, nor do i have a lot of money at my disposal so i do not want a massive track plan. Any ideas?
  2. GMRCNut868

GMRCNut868 New Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I would like to use HO scale because I have enough roling stock and locomotives to run a layout already.
  3. Tad

Tad Member

4. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The classic "timesaver" designed originally by John Allen will fit nicely on your desk. The original was something like 24" x48" I think. If you make it a little longer to fill the 54' desk, and stick to short locos like sw's or a G E 44 tonner, or a 0-4-0 saddle tank docksider, you could operate with a few more cars than the original time saver puzzle was designed for.
  6. GMRCNut868

GMRCNut868 New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone! I've looked through both sites, and considered the timesaver, and i think i have pretty much decided on the trakc plan below. I have always liked/been intruiged by logging short lines and thought that this mini layout would be a good way to get some experience modeling a logging line. i would however, still like to get some input from the loggers out there to see if anyone has any suggestions/tips/ideas. Heres the track plan:
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Matsons Landing looks like a great layout in the making. Keep us informed.
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Much better use for that desk than paperwork!

I have an old old article on a very similar layout. It's 3 pages and I could e-mail it if you'd like it. Just send me a message to my e-mail below and I'll send it on it's way ;) Look forward to watching it unfold!
  9. GMRCNut868

GMRCNut868 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone!