Smaller switching layout

GMRCNut868

Mar 2, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
I have a currently unused desk in my bedroom with a tabletop that measures 54"x23". I was thinking that I could build a small switching layout to make a better use of the desk. I dont have all the time in the world, nor do i have a lot of money at my disposal so i do not want a massive track plan. Any ideas?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The classic "timesaver" designed originally by John Allen will fit nicely on your desk. The original was something like 24" x48" I think. If you make it a little longer to fill the 54' desk, and stick to short locos like sw's or a G E 44 tonner, or a 0-4-0 saddle tank docksider, you could operate with a few more cars than the original time saver puzzle was designed for.

GMRCNut868

Mar 2, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Thanks for all the help everyone! I've looked through both sites, and considered the timesaver, and i think i have pretty much decided on the trakc plan below. I have always liked/been intruiged by logging short lines and thought that this mini layout would be a good way to get some experience modeling a logging line. i would however, still like to get some input from the loggers out there to see if anyone has any suggestions/tips/ideas. Heres the track plan:
4.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Matsons Landing looks like a great layout in the making. Keep us informed.
Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Much better use for that desk than paperwork!

I have an old old article on a very similar layout. It's 3 pages and I could e-mail it if you'd like it. Just send me a message to my e-mail below and I'll send it on it's way ;) Look forward to watching it unfold!