small pond

mikey

Jan 4, 2005
yes...another water question.

I am wanting to put a very small pond on my layout. The pond will be no larger than 2"x4" and only 1/2" deep.

My question is...what is an easy method of doing this? I don't really want to bu any of the specialty products since this is such a small area.

I read some of the older posts and saw a recommendation of gloss medium as well as one for elmers gel glue. Both of these sound like possibilities. Do I need to seal the bottom with hot glue or something before pouring gloss medium?

Any thoughts are appreciated as I am a definite newbie to this stuff.

Thanks!

Mikey

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I've got a buddy that uses plaster of paris for his small ponds. He carves a hole in the foam the size and shape of the pond and then spreads a thick (like peanut butter) layer of POP around the edges. Once it sets up a little, he shapes and carves the banks. He then pours a real thin POP mix all over the lake bottom. This provides a smooth bottom as well as separating the foam from his "water" medium. They turn out great. I think he uses WS water but I'm sure other materials would also work. Sorry I don't have any pics. I've tried to get him interested in the Gauge but he's not into computers.
Doc

Mike P

Jan 10, 2005
Murrysville, PA
I have a small H2O on my N scale, using olive drab, some regular green paint, a dab of brown, a dash of black, I came up with a color that looked like a pond! I took that mixed mess brushed on to a piece of 1/32 plexglass. After it dried I put the painted side down on the layout, a few sprigs of brush on one side and then layered the "green fake grass stuff" down, around the edges, in a few layers to build up the sides, I was shocked it looked great. Or perhaps I am a sucker for my own handy work ;-)
Mike

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Mike P said:
I have a small H2O on my N scale, using olive drab, some regular green paint, a dab of brown, a dash of black, I came up with a color that looked like a pond! I took that mixed mess brushed on to a piece of 1/32 plexglass. After it dried I put the painted side down on the layout, a few sprigs of brush on one side and then layered the "green fake grass stuff" down, around the edges, in a few layers to build up the sides, I was shocked it looked great. Or perhaps I am a sucker for my own handy work ;-)
Mike
Dunno, why not post a picture and let us decide... :wave: :wave:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
mikey said:
need to seal the bottom with hot glue or something before pouring gloss medium?
Mikey

Hi, Just wanted to clarify that gloss medium isn't usually poured but is rather brushed on in several layers. I'm not sure if it would dry properly if poured in quantity. I've used gloss medium for my water effects and am pleased with the appearance. It takes several layers to get the surface "wet" looking.
Ralph