Sid Meyer's Railroads!

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by LoudMusic, Sep 10, 2006.

1. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Screen shots

I believe this is going to be like Railroad Tycoon. I own Railroad Tycoon II Platinum, though I rarely play it. There is a 3rd that is in true 3D. But I think Sid's rendition should be even better.
  2. viperman

viperman Active Member

Sounds a bit like Tycoon to me too. I think I"ll have to check it out though
  3. galt904

galt904 Member

Looks like much more detail than Tycoon 3. Might have to put it on my Christmas list. :)
  4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I've been fiddling with the RRT3 demo at home. It's ok, much improved game play over RRT2. But I do think this one would be better. I'd like to see longer train consists though.
  5. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Where's the $@#$! tenders??? I looked at ALL the screen shots, and NONE of the locomotives have tenders! ARRGH!!! :curse: It's a fatal error, unless it's a tank locomotive, they mentioned that,"... you don't even have to know an inkling of how a locomotive works.." I guess they don't either! And WORSE OF ALL, HOW COULD SID LET THAT SLIP??? :confused: :curse:
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The local club had the first dinner and presentation of the 06-07 season last night. The presentation was on Trainz2006. Incredible program if you want to build and/or run trains. The most recent version includes the Toronto (Ontario) train lands circa 1955. Gives you all the running/building capabilities listed above, but without the "gaming" aspect. There is also apparently a huge on-line library of locos, rolling stock, structures, and so on.

Caveat: I have not used either (but I do plan on putting Trainz on my wish list - as soon as they have a Mac version ;))
  7. MilesWestern

Yeah, Trainz 2006 is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! :eek: I got a copy a monthe ago, and it's great.
  8. Chanda

Chanda New Member

Hi Miles,
    I also just got Trainz 2006 but have found out that I have to do some up-grading. More Ram and maybe a different video card. So you think it is amazing, well that is encouraging and maybe I have something to look forward to.

9. MilesWestern

Yeah, it blows MSTS out of the water because if i's graphics, and it' flexibility! :)
  10. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I definitely need a computer upgrade for gaming purposes. It's kind of embarrasing - I'm a bonafied geek and I can't play anything produced in the past 3 years.
  11. viperman

viperman Active Member

So who else has Railroads! ? I like it
  12. engineshop

engineshop Member

I just downloaded the demo.
    I believe I could play the game for about 6 - 10 hours. Of course that is about 300 hours short of the playing time of the first Railroad Tycoon.
    Except for the neat graphics, there is just nothing new that could capture my interest.
  13. jflessne

jflessne Member

I have it.
    Excellent graphics. Really challenging at least for me. I can keep up with demand for most things but after a while everything is a mess. When your city's start to grow and congestion is a problem the double track upgrade is nice but I still have a lot of trains that sit idle waiting for other trains to pull thru! Could be my inexperience with real railroading.

Buying existing or creating new businesses puts a neat swing on things also. Awesome when you have a new engine break a speed record and make the papers. :)
  14. viperman

viperman Active Member

I've just been playing with the table mode so far. I am liking it, and still getting used to how I can make things more efficient
  15. KCS

KCS Member

In that case is anyone playing Microsoft's Train Simulator? I bought it a long time ago but had to take it back because the computer I had at the time wouldn't support it. I thought about buying it again maybe even with the locomotive control station. I have been coming across sites that have lot's of upgrades for my locomotives and rolling stock. One even had a couple of new locations. If it's at a decent playing level to where some of you guy's can play and enjoy it or tolerate it on an enjoyable level then I think I might go for it.
  16. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Charles, get Trainz 2006 at instead. You will like it tons more then MTS.
    Try the demos and you will see that MTS sucks compared to Trainz.
  17. KCS

KCS Member

Hmmmmm. I think I might just do that. As long as it's modern! :)
  18. kitsune

kitsune Member

The new Railroads game seems to be actually about the same as RT3. Most reviewers are now suggesting it's *less* flexible than RT3, but simpler to play.

For my money, RT2 is still better on gameplay than RT3. Unfortunately, nobody has yet created a railroad game that truly captures all the gameplay possiblities. Sometimes I've talked to some of my friends in the industry about pooling together to hire someone to write code on a new game based on RT2, but soooo much better....

One can dream.
  19. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Well, considering it was Sid who created the original Railroad Tycoon, it should be a good one.