[search] Thornycroft Torpedo Boat No. 168

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
ssebitro, Maurice,

Thanks for the post. It may be obscure but the story is hilarious. Guess how they found out that both torpedoes had to be dropped simulataneously? Salt water boiler injection? Galvanized steel hull in the South Pacific?....,

Best regards, Gil

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Jim,

No, that was ssebitro's post with a follow-up by Maurice (from which, the quote below). Your post does lead to a top and side views of the aforementioned craft. I was referring to the description of events after it was delivered to New Zealand, especially the quote:

"The Lyttelton Times describes the vessel's performance as 'enough to make a marine engineer weep tears of gall!'."

Great stuff and barely varnished to boot!

Best regards, Gil

ssebitro

Oct 12, 2004
Tychy-Poland
More, more , more :lol: this is some kind of picture not a plan :D J want to bulid in 1/20 scale , J need a lines of hull , deck and many more , but it's dificult to find . J'm searching since january :cry: and J can't get satisfaction :?:

Sorry for mistakes my english is poor :)

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Ssebitro

I have this scale drawing of Torpedo boat No. 80, built by Yarrow & Co. I know its not the same boat, but I have been told that it was the same hull design for both boats. I don't know if thats true or not a bit before my time :lol:

If its any good to you let me know

Regards

Rob

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Rob

I think TB 80 by Yarrow was a 1st class torpedo boat of 135' pp. (So just who did tell you they were the same? :D )
Do you have drawings for the 2nd class boats TB 76 -95 built by Thornycroft 1890-93. These seem to exactly match the dimensions given for the New Zealand boats ?
Thornycroft likely knocked out a few more the same.

Cheers
Maurice

PS only saw your pics when I logged in to post. TB 80 is definitely not the same as the NZ boats. Nice drawings though. :D

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Maurice

An old guy from the local OAP club comes by now and then for bits for his models just said he thought the hulls were the same and that the hull lines might be of use!! As I said I din't know if it was true or not :roll:

The next set of line drawings I have are for 27-knotters or "A" Class (1893-94 Programme) with some photos of Boxer, Spitfire, Salmon and Sunfish and a few others. After that 30-knotters.

Oh well tried to help :lol:

Regards

Rob

ssebitro

Oct 12, 2004
Tychy-Poland
Thank's you all for trying to help :D jrts it's beautyfull :wink: torpedoboat but it's diferent construction , you my be right about hull's perhaps torpedoboat "Lighting" from 1877 has the same hull but J'm not sure. J send a picture of another thornycroft vessel , it has the same hull and J'm sure.

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Sebastian

Duilio's torpedo boat was called "Clio" and weighed 26 tons. That is all I know and I have no idea who made it.
The New Zealand boats and the other Thornycroft boats like the one in your picture weighed 12 tons.
Do you have any other information about Clio ?

Cheers
Maurice

S

shrike

I know it's crossing threads, but this hull-form really begs for airscrews on outriggers and to be crawling with 4m four armed green martians..

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
(Pats a Shrike gently on the head)

There, there now, just sit quietly in the corner there for a while and it'll be alright.
They'll go away soon and you'll be safe again.

:lol:

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Sebastian

Very interesting, thank you.
That looks like a Thornycroft boat but it is not.
Between 1878 and 1881 Italy bought five torpedo boats. Nibbio and Aquila from Thornycroft and Avvoltoio, Spaviero and Falco from Yarrow.
Clio (1882) was the first Italian designed and built torpedo boat but seems to have been very similar to Nibbio (See message from Wujek Andrzej - Sro Kwi 14 2004, 9:18 )
If you want detailed plans of Nibbio it is possible that the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, London may be able to help.
On Warship.com I saw AChoong@nmm.ac.uk suggested as a contact in the museum's Photographs & ship plans section.

If you can make do with less information I suggest using the plan of the New Zealand boat found by Jim and the sections in Rob's plan of Torpedo boat No. 80. The hulls of all the early torpedo boats were very similar.

Cheers
Maurice

ssebitro

Oct 12, 2004
Tychy-Poland
Thank's for information it will be used. J will ask in museum.

The sections of Rob's plan are closer to battleship's sections . No 168 sections are looking like sections of fast light cruiser( see the foto of wreck in museum ) what you think about TURBINIA ?

This Italian Clio look's like mirror of Thornycroft :D