scratch-buil Heisler

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Waldbahner, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Waldbahner

Waldbahner Member

I would like to show you my new Heisler in N-scale. The model is scratch-build out of brass, copper and styrene. Some parts has been used from an old Atlas-Shay-Boiler (domes, stack, lamps...). Parts of a Kato-critter-drive 11-105 has been used for the drive.
    Only the rear truck is powered, but the loco pulls even large trains with 13+ logcars on a 2% grade. The frame of the model is 60mm long and the loco runs on DCC.

More about my Heisler ->

Here are some photos.

The locos has been detailed and weatherd, but I've no actual photo in the web at the moment.

2. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Looks great!!!:thumb:
  3. radar

radar Member

Man that looks good!!!!
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Wow...:thumb: :thumb:
  5. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Wow! Nice job! :thumb:

Some friends of mine are restoring that very engine in Tuolumne California.
  6. Waldbahner

Waldbahner Member

Many thanks. I've updated the photos with new ones, showing the engine weathered and detailed.
  7. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

That is a fantastic job in HO, not to mention N!!!
  8. jesso

jesso Member

Great work. Nice to see the video that it runs :)
  9. woodone

woodone Member

BOY!! I will second that!! Great job.:thumb:
    BTW Jesso any good hobby ( TRAIN) stores there in St George.
    Wife and I are thinking of moving there this summer. ( if the house will sell) :D
  10. Waldbahner

Waldbahner Member

Here's another photo, showing the Heisler and my 3-truck-Shays sitting on my hand to give you a feeling of the locos size...

And here is a secound clip, showing the loco running through camp 8, hauling a 13-skels-logtrain up a 2.5% grade...

11. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Gerd: That would be fabulous workmanship in a larger scale but to have done it in N scale is really something special. You are a real craftsman.
  12. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

that is one reason i didnt go into N scale..things are too darn small!my big ol fingers could never have managed to build that.that shows ome real craftsmen ship right there!
  13. jesso

jesso Member

Short answer is no, unless you are into remote control planes. Sent you a PM.

Seeing those in your hand makes me realize how great those are. The detail is one thing. Having that much detail in that small a size is wonderful.
  14. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

That's some amazing work, Gerd! :thumb:
  15. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

Those of you who scratch build locos are truely impressive. I hope that every one of you continue to post your work.
  16. beezerv

beezerv Member

Very impressive!!!
  17. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That's amazing!
  18. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I'm assuming the Shays are scratchbuilt too. Remarkable!!! :thumb: