Scenic Ridge

Rexx Thunder

Sep 3, 2005
Hi guys, just joined the forum. I'm just starting out with model railroad layout building. Thought I would get my feet wet with a prefab woodland scenics kit before I go insame an terraform one of my rooms into an giant rolling empire. Anyone have any experience with the Scenic Ridge layout kit? I found a really good deal on it, I think I'm going to buy it.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Woodland scenics is a good starting project. Just make sure the "good deal" is for the entire layout! As I recall, Scenic Ridge consists of: a foam base kit; a structures kit; a track kit; and a scenery kit. You need all four to build the "layout".
Pete

Rexx Thunder

Sep 3, 2005
If I recall correctly, the foam and the scenery are part of the same kit. Looks like I'll be able to get all of them for about 1/4 price. Found someone that bought and never built it, and wants to get rid of it quick. Lucky me, I've been looking at that kit for quite some time.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I bought the "City & Industry Building Set" which goes with the "Grand Valley" at a train show this summer for $150.00. It's 15 DPM based buildings with some different decals and accessories thrown in. I thought it was a good (not great) deal and it will go up in my mountain module which looks like the first one I will actually build. I am building this using a lot of Owings/Corning foamboard, and spent well over $100.00 for the foam at Home Depot (enough for 8x8 4 inches thick).

What you're doing looks like a super smart idea to me, and I would jump at the chance. The big thing is, even though you may modify it later, you have a project and you will know when you're finished, and you will have something to operate.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Certainly if you can get a better price it's a great deal. I think the DPM kit is a pretty good deal on its own. You might be able to vary the track -- which could be to your own spec. And, of course, there's no reason why the whole thing can't be a 'module' of your future basement empire, so you're not wasting anything...