Scary but fun

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Nov 10, 2004.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

What's scary but fun? Weathering a $500 loco that's what! But I finally worked up the nerve to do it and here are the results. I'm pretty happy with it.

Attached Files:

2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A thing of beauty Val. Congratulations on getting up the nerve to do the weathering. Turned out very well.
  3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Gawd it's ruined. :D Actually it looks great. How about some closeups? Fred
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Oh wow! That's a beauty! Your weathering looks just fine Val.
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Okay - just for you Fred - here are some close-ups.

Attached Files:

6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

And here's one more.

Attached Files:

7. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Looks just FAB, Val. I'm still practicing on $10 bits of 2nd hand junk locos. Not yet game to attack my prized ones just yet. :eek:
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks Val. Now I can see what you did better. Looks great, just enough to look used, but not look junked out filthy. I bet that's one sweet machine, unlike the car in my avatar. :D. Fred
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

That's Beautiful Val!!! really gives it character!! :)
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks guys!!!!!! By the mid 50s these engines were not kept up as well as before. And an interesting thing I found out - NYC Hudsons actually pulled CPR passenger trains from Buffalo to Toronto and back. I had no idea this was the case when I bought this locomotive - I just bought it cuz I liked it. But it shows you, there's a prototype for everything!!!!

11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Very nice Val!
  12. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Very Nice Job Val :thumb: :thumb: :wave: :wave:
  13. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

Great job and both the photography and model scenes are great also. On tip on weathering steam engines: getting anything to stick to side rods and valve gear is near impossible, so I lightly bead blast them (off the model of course). Then any washes or airbrush weathering adhear. In fact, they look pretty good as is after "beading" I suspect you could do the same with one of the small "air erasors".
  14. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

This is a fine weathering job, Val! You just found the right grade of weathering - a well used but not abused loco. :thumb:

And I congratulate you to your courage to attack that model with your spray gun. (Is it a brass engine?) I still have three 'golden' brass locos - but so far I didn't have the nerve to paint, let alone weather them... :oops:

15. jkristia

jkristia Member

looks great Val. I too would be a bit concerned if I were to weather a $500 model. But it sure turned out beautiful.

16. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Just the thought of paying $500 for a loco is enough to scare the hail out of me! :eek: Nice work Val, looks really good on the layout.
  17. rksstl

rksstl Member

Nice job of weathering Val, that is one awsome looking locomotive. :thumb: :wave:
  18. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

Damn that looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!! Nice suttle weathering. How did you weather it? Paint? Chalk?
  19. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks a lot folks! :)

Jerry, that's a neat tip about the siderods - except I can see that's taking them off is another thing that will take a lot of nerve, for me anyway.

Ron, it's a plastic model from Broadway Limited Imports. As for yours, you should practice on a cheap loco and then go for it!!!!

20. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

I stand in awe of your courage, Lady Spitfire. I haven't the mettle to try with my own BLI C-16. Hats off to you for your amazing weathering job! :thumb: :thumb: