Scary but fun

F

Fred_M

Gawd it's ruined. :D Actually it looks great. How about some closeups? Fred

F

Fred_M

Thanks Val. Now I can see what you did better. Looks great, just enough to look used, but not look junked out filthy. I bet that's one sweet machine, unlike the car in my avatar. :D. Fred

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys!!!!!! By the mid 50s these engines were not kept up as well as before. And an interesting thing I found out - NYC Hudsons actually pulled CPR passenger trains from Buffalo to Toronto and back. I had no idea this was the case when I bought this locomotive - I just bought it cuz I liked it. But it shows you, there's a prototype for everything!!!!

Val

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Great job and both the photography and model scenes are great also. On tip on weathering steam engines: getting anything to stick to side rods and valve gear is near impossible, so I lightly bead blast them (off the model of course). Then any washes or airbrush weathering adhear. In fact, they look pretty good as is after "beading" I suspect you could do the same with one of the small "air erasors".

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This is a fine weathering job, Val! You just found the right grade of weathering - a well used but not abused loco. :thumb:

And I congratulate you to your courage to attack that model with your spray gun. (Is it a brass engine?) I still have three 'golden' brass locos - but so far I didn't have the nerve to paint, let alone weather them... :eek:ops:

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot folks! :)

Jerry, that's a neat tip about the siderods - except I can see that's taking them off is another thing that will take a lot of nerve, for me anyway.

Ron, it's a plastic model from Broadway Limited Imports. As for yours, you should practice on a cheap loco and then go for it!!!!

Val

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
CalFlash said:
Great job and both the photography and model scenes are great also. On tip on weathering steam engines: getting anything to stick to side rods and valve gear is near impossible, so I lightly bead blast them (off the model of course). Then any washes or airbrush weathering adhear. In fact, they look pretty good as is after "beading" I suspect you could do the same with one of the small "air erasors".

Bead blasting?? Beading?? Does not compute. :eek: :confused: :confused: