Scanning Magazine and Printed Pictures

F

Fred_M

I was looking at a memebers site and notice they had scanned some pictures from a book or magazine and they had that pesky moire pattern in them. So here's a little how to that may help youy be rid of the lines and patterns in your scans. Here's a picture from a MR magizine that has all the problems:) FRED

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 144
F

Fred_M

So you open up your scanner settings and check descreen which is the fix. Most scanner software offer this filter and it's to fix this problem.

Attachments

• adjust.jpg
    adjust.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 143
F

Fred_M

The best way is to re-scan correctly with the descreen filter. It's hard to patch the pictures (and get decent looking results) once they have the color waves and patterns scanned in. The "fix" you refer to generally results in soft blurry images. As I say, the descreen filter is in most scanner interface software. FRED

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
IF!

That's "if" your scanner offers such option.

Mark<---------just being a narrow gauger:eek:

(kinda like saying the best trains are 40 car trains when all you have is a 2' X 4' layout and the most it'll handle is a loco and a couple of cars- but the point is well accepted)

F

Fred_M

Assuming your software don't you could prob. go to the makers website and download a newer driver that does. It's not the scanner, it's the software. I have yet to see a interface that don't have a descreen mode that's been made since say 1998, and I've seen lots of them in my job as a tech. Of course there are exceptions to every rule and people who refuse to upgrade their 386 and it's hand scanner. FRED

F

Fred_M

Attachments

• hp soft.jpg
    hp soft.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 75

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
I pulled up Help, hit the index tab and typed in "descreen" and got nothing. I must have the no frills version of that copier. I guess I should go to the HP site and see what they say.

George

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
I just finished a trip to the HP site. I did a scan of my computer for updates, and I have the latest. I did a search for "descreen" under 4200C and got the following message: " No documents matched. Please enter another search request."

I guess I need to buy better equipment next time.:rolleyes:

George