Sanity check.... Colton switcher, circa 1985

TiVoPrince

Apr 27, 2003
Land of Cotton
Visit site
All,

I have collected most of the items I need for this project and before I take razor saw in hand, I look to the experts for advice...

The supplies:
Kato SD40-2 (2)
Kato SD40-2 shells (2)
Atlas SD35 shells (2)
Atlas GP38 shells (2)
Con-Cor C630 (2)

sp2971a.jpg

sp2976.jpg

The plan:
Cut Dynamic brake area from SD40-2 shells including first radiator fan.
Cut and reshape radiator grilles from exter SD40-2 shells
Cut nose from SD35 and replace SD40-2 nose
Cut filter boxes from GP38 shells and add behind electrical cabinet
Cut dynamic brakes reshape ends and apply in "reversed" position.
Fill areas not replaced by alternate parts
Fill headlight on cab with blank
Fill holes left by snowplow removal
Add bell, airhorn, MU hoses and such
Paint and letter

sp1001a.jpg

Part 2:
Remove noses from C630 shells
Make hood from styrene
Add fans removed from SD40-2 shells to dynamic
Use radiator grills from SD40-2 shells for dynamics
Use rear sections of SD40-2 walkways to make frame
Fill thinner section to match prototype
Remove steps from C630 shells and apply to frame
(not sure if I should scratchbuild an underframe and lose the weight)
Paint and letter.

Any advice would be appreciated....

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I think we must all be speechless, TiVo! I don't have the background or experience for any meaningful comment, but it sure looks like an ambitious project.

ps: Askin for a sanity check from this forum is kinda like asking for a tofu burger at McDonalds's!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
:eek: :eek: :eek: YOU MEAN THEY DON'T HAVE TOFU BURGERS AT MICKY-D'S???? WHAT THE HECK HAVE I BEEN EATING THERE!?!?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I dunno either MR Tivo, but htat's a heck of a first post!!! :D I say start hackin' and if you need more parts you'll know it when you get there :D :D :D It would be great if you can get some photo's along the way to show! And of course, the finished model. I think YOU will be the expert on this one, at least by the time you get done :) Welcome aboard!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
You're asking US for ADVICE !!!!!!!:D :D
I've done a couple of minor kitbashes, but nothing as ambitious as that !
You seem to have it well thought out, and planned, and I would certainly be interested in seeing a step by... of the progress.
Do you have some information about what those were called, maybe some history ??
Good luck with this one, and if there are any specific procedures, or techniques, ask, and I'm sure someone will have an answer.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Good God! I love that unit, never seen it before. I can offer zero help but echo the thoughts of the others about wanting to see your progress. Sounds like you've got planned well enough. Good luck!

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi TiVoprince,

It sounds like you have a good Idea on the how to;)

If this helps...... Make a brass frame to ensure your orignal body frame is true, ( if it`s in two parts) Or build a strong one piece frame out of U brass channel thats how I scratch build my Interurbans. You can then use a motor for each truck! You can add the weight!

How long is it wheel base to wheel base???? You will have problems with radius unless you can compansate by shaving out metal to allow the trucks to swing more.

Hope that helps.
Looking forward to your progress.
:)

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Model Railpower makes an SD39 shell which is what I used to kitbash my SP SD38s.
As for the slug, I've seen 'em done in HO scale by others but never got around to doing one myself. I would love to see a set of step by step photos of your project. Someday I plan on tackling one myself... ;)

Tom F

chapmon

Dec 29, 2002
Longview, TX
Visit site
NEED HELP?

Tivo:

Ambitious project, you have more daring than I do. My friend (Dan Raitz - on this forum) has kitbashed more diesels than I can remember.

Check with him if you need advice, he might be able to assist you.

Mike

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
TiVo,

I would like to see some in-progress shots. I thought I'd share some of my in-progress shot of a GATX SD38-2.
Frist a shot of the prototype.

Attachments

• gatx1245abn.jpg
    gatx1245abn.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 157

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
and now some shots in a work in progress. I started with an Athearn SD40-2 an replaced the radiator, nose, cab, cab-subbase, inertial air filter and paper air filter with Cannon parts. All the light gray parts are Cannon, the cab is one of Cannon's early runs before gray plastic.

Attachments

• sd38-2e.jpg
    sd38-2e.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 170

TiVoPrince

Apr 27, 2003
Land of Cotton
Visit site
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement

Dan,

I think we are in lock step except sale and a few prototype specific details.

Units are SD38-2 purchased specifically by SP for service at the Colton, CA yard, The slugs joined them later and were eventually replaced by other SP switchers like SD7R or similar.

I saw them once or twice on haulers at Dolores and the ICTF. That must have been a BAD motive power day...

Since I have no need for electrical in the slug I am leaning to building it from styrene to better represent the "fuel tank" area of the slug. The loss of weight is not too bad and the old ConCor trucjks roll just fine since I stripped the electrical contacts. They were making a shreiking noise and adding resistance.

First cuts will come when the GP38 shells arrive.

Don' t get me started on InterMountain tunnel motors....

Thank you all,
TivoPrince

TiVoPrince

Apr 27, 2003
Land of Cotton
Visit site
Dan,

Thanks for the images. Special that 2972 is one of the units chosen for the project along with 2974. Is there a higher resolution version of the first image? The shadowy reversed LOS ANGELES assignment and model number on the cab is one item that just begs to be modeled.