Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Racharg, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Racharg

Racharg Member

After tackling the water tower, I figured a sandhouse would complement it nicely. And the makings of an engine service facility begins :) Thanks Mat for the inspiration!

Attached Files:

2. Racharg

Racharg Member

Assembly using some magnets on tin as a jig. Got the magnets on the tin at the dollar store for...well...a dollar fifteen (after the governments cut)

Attached Files:

3. Racharg

Racharg Member

With the roof added...would also make a good utility shed I guess but I've still got the sand "coral" and the "thingy" that holds the sand up top. Can anyone tell me the proper names for the various sand house parts and how they get the sand up there?

Attached Files:

4. Racharg

Racharg Member

The makings of the sand "thingy":oops:

Attached Files:

5. Racharg

Racharg Member

The "sand house" part of the sand house completed

Attached Files:

6. nalmeida

nalmeida Member

Very good workmanship, I love to see these structures develop, keep us informed about developments :)
  7. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That's a neat project Racharg
    Nice to see it developing.
  9. Racharg

Racharg Member

sand coral :)

Attached Files:

10. pttom

pttom Member

Looks great Racharg.
  11. Racharg

Racharg Member

Some more progress

Finally got around to gluing everything and a preliminary attempt at weathering cardboard to look like wood and tin...

Attached Files:

12. Racharg

Racharg Member

With it's buddy the water tower...

Attached Files:

13. Racharg

Racharg Member

hand carved portal & retaining wall

And the reason it took so long to work on the sand house...The hand carved portal & retaining wall

Attached Files:

14. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. belg

belg Member

Racharg, the portal and retaining wall look great how about a little description of how you did it?
  16. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Wow! Some great work there. Thanks for posting how the model was assembled. And thanks for posting how you did the corners. I have been looking for a cheap method.
  17. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Very nice work :thumb:
  18. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Both projects look great. That servicing facility is all set for the locomotives to pull in and tank up.:) :thumb: :thumb:
  19. Racharg

Racharg Member

The retaining wall how to

Belg, I used Casey Feedwater's tutorial "Stonewallin'" in the Academy as the basis for the retaining wall and portal. The only difference is that I made cardboard shapes of the wall & portal, sealed them with masking tape and then applied the plaster of of the layout. Found it pretty easy to carve (especially since they aren't attached to the layout yet) but very tedious. Well worth it in the end though for the look it achieves. How I do love this forum though, so many ideas, so little time!

Attached Files:

20. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Great project!

That wall looks especially great! I sure hope you plan to put some stuff growing on it! :D