Salvage 1/Vulture

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bane, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Bane

Bane Member

Hi all.

This is my 1:48 Vulture build, designed by Patrick York, from Salvage 1.

Why this model?

Being a Carolina boy, I felt a need to do an "In Memorium" build for the recently passed Andy Griffith.

The obvious choice would be something Mayberryish, but since my interests are primarily real space and sci fi, and I dislike being obvious, I am fortunate in the fact that he did this short series in 1979.

It occurs to me that some portion of the people that glance at this thread, due to youth or living in some other part of the world, may have no idea what Salvage 1 is.

How to describe it.....hmmmm.....lets try

Long long ago in not right........ummmm

Space, <dramatic pause> the,no,no.......still not right

The last, best hope,no, more try

Once upon a time, in a hole in the ground, there lived....wait..What?!?

Forget all that, just look at these videos, they'll explain everything.

vulture1.jpg salvage_1_by_dragonpyper-d3b4j30.jpg

Cutting has begun

Building first rocket engine

First rocket engine complete

Now to complete the other two rocket moters and start main body
  2. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

I remember that show.... hard to imagine that it has been that long ago... I feel old now :cry:
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

A fitting memorial to a great entertainer who has just passed away! :)
  4. sgoti

sgoti Member

What's the setup with the hose clamps in your first build photo?

I imagine it's some sort of construction jig, just curious how it's used...

Following this one with interest!
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Looks like a ring compressor that he may be using for the fuel tanks? Using a rolled up piece of paper and tape will achieve the same results. :)
  6. micahrogers

micahrogers Active Member

I was wondering then the light flipped on... I remember that show :) I will be following this one
  7. Bane

Bane Member

It is indeed a jig of sorts. It's something I came up with on my first build, this is my second, to create tubes. I wanted something that was reuseable, easily adjustable, and wouldn't accidentally crush. I also found it to be useful for crating sub-assembalies to slot into finished tubes.

I'm still at the very begining of discovering tried and true techniques for building, techniques with my own twist on them, and which ones are useful or not to me.

For this particular build I started useing it, but the tubes for the engines were small enough that it looked like this configuration of the jig might mess them up. Instead of taking a chance, I switched to a more conventional technique for them.

I have been doing experiments with different sizes and weights of paper. Hopefully I will perfect the technique for almost any size tube or as I learn more I may end up abandoning the entire thing. Who knows.

If you would like to see where I started useing it, look here...
  8. jmich17513

jmich17513 Member

I loved this show a lot when it was out. They still haven't released this on DVD yet. The build is coming along nicely.
  9. Vince

Vince Member

I too am old enough to remember that show. The throttle was a shift lever from a Ford Mustang.
    I especially remember when Andy & Co. discovered oil, refined it in their junkyard and sold it for 39 cents a gallon, which ticked off the oil companies.
    If only Life were that simple...
  10. scifimodelfan

scifimodelfan Member

Wow can't believe how long ago that was, I to remember watching it wayyyy back then.
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wasn't that the "Beverly Hillbillies"? :)
  12. Patron_zero

Patron_zero Member

I'm quite surprised that Monogram or Revell didn't do a plastic kit of The Vulture as many other ABC TV programs did, case in point the kit car The Coyote X from Hardcastle & McCormick

Attached Files:

13. Bane

Bane Member

Havn't made a lot of progress since my last post.

But, since I havn't posted anything on it for several days, here's what I have so far.

Lox Tanks/Main Engines Are Done.

Started work on the basic structure of the Cockpit and Fuel Tank/Cargo space.

14. Bane

Bane Member

A small move forward on the model.

Boy, it seems like its taking forever to get this little model done.:confused:

Cockpit and Fule/Cargo stacked.

Bracing added.

RCS Thrusters added.

15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Looks really good!! Andy be proud of ya! :)
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I'm quite impressed with this build so far! It's very clean and well done. :D

In fact, I think I'll build my own model of S1. I've never seen the show (still waiting for a DVD set), but I always had a dream when I was a kid of going to the junk yard and building my own rocket out of scrap. :wink:
  17. Bane

Bane Member

Thanks for the comments.

It's just so annoying that the outside world has been, lately, interfering with my time for the important things. Playing with my paper and glue.:p
  18. Bane

Bane Member

It's starting to come together.

Retro Rockets

001.jpg 002.jpg

Some Handrails

Communications Dish

Build So Far

19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

"Coming together" is an understatement!!:eek: She's wonderful! :) :thumb:
  20. Bane