Rolling stock

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I am on a quest to start a new fleet of rolling stock. While I can appreciate the higher quality of manufactures like Intermountain and Kadee, I simply could never afford to build an entire fleet at $25-$28.00 a piece. So shopping around and having the hardest time locating moderate quality C&O frieght cars I stumbled upon Accurail. I was just interested in a few opinions of anyone who may own a few of their selections as to the quality and weight. Will they require weighting upgrades? Do they accept Kadees? How does the detail of the items fair among other manufactures? I am sure I could just contact the manufacture for some of these questions but I'm sure they would never tell you their product was junk if it was true, so thats why I am asking here to get the buyers and builders opinions.
I was thinking about ordering the 12 pack of the C&O 55 ton 2 bay hoppers, and a few of the "Data only" box cars in various makes, colors, and sizes and just adding some champs decals.
Thanks for the opinions. :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I like Accurail cars! They are affordable and look great. I can’t get enough of their outside braced wood boxcars.

All the Accurail cars I have accept Kadee #5 couplers. Also I have never had to add weight to any of my Accurail cars to bring them up to the NRMA recommended weight.

They do have a few drawbacks. Their plastic wheels are terrible. I change them out for metal wheels. Since I do that with all rolling stock it is no big deal. My biggest complaint is that their coupler cover and trucks are attached with pins not screws. This is not too much of a problem with the trucks but with the coupler cover you have to be very careful when applying pressure to close it. I have broken a few coupler covers. Mind you it is not the end of the world because I drill a hole in the cover, tap the hole in the coupler box and use a screw to attach them. The biggest problem comes when trying to remove the coupler cover. They are very hard to remove and the pins break easily. I have broken about half the coupler cover pins I have tried to remove.

Even with the couple of drawbacks I noted I will buy as many as I can get.

Almost forgot about the road number policy. For each kit you can purchase a decal sheet from Accurail with additional numbers. The decals match the color of the car and go over the old number. That way there is no number removal headaches.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I thought they looked nice. So I decided to place the order. 12 C&O 55 ton 2 bay hoppers & 12 Accurail coal loads, 2- AAR 40' Mineral Red Data only, 2- PD 40' Mineral Red Data only, and 2- 50' combo door riveted Data Only Red oxide. That should be enough to get me goin. I have to head over to Champs and order up some decals. Thanks for the reply.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm a little late finding this thread, but I like Accurail as well. I've heard complaints from "rivet counters" about wrong underframes on Ps2 boxcars, but while I try to model prototypically, I don't sweat minor differences if it "looks right." I think the detail is superb. They seem to be the only manufacturer left producing "shake the box" kits in any sort of quantity.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I'm glad to hear the good comments. Especially since I have already made my purchase. I'm not a "rivet counter" by far. I want my stuff to look good but I don't want to see dollar signs everytime I look at my layout either. I was just trying to find something slightly nicer than average, and affordable enough that I could buy enough to look good on the layout. Sounds like Accurails equipment should fit the bill quite nicely. :thumb:

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I have about 45 Accurail freight cars and continue to buy them. Tom explains the fix to all of the problems that I have also experienced...at least half of my coupler cover pins have broken. amd all of the wheels need replacing. To Accurails credit, I have been getting a few lately that have been redesigned with screws holding both the coupler covers and the trucks in place. Can't tell from the unopened box which is which but I still recommend them. I have also found that the Accumate couplers are the most durable of the plastic couplers and I don't have to replace them with Kadees. P2K wheels work best for me. I haven't needed to redecal any of them yet but I appreciate the fact that they offer this service. I buy the six-packs and they're all numbered differently. Best of all, THEY ARE STILL KITS.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
My 12 pack of Accurail hoppers came in today and by the end of next week I should have about 14 Accurail box cars and seven Branchline boxcars in. I have to decal half of the Accurails as they are "data only" models. Hope they are as nice as I am hearing.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Here are some pics of the goodies that have arrived over the weekend. I'm still waiting on a large order I placed about a week and a half ago that hasent showed up yet. I must say I think these Accurail models will fit the bill nicely. The price is right and they look good enough for me (as I am not a perfectionist). Good stuff.
P9180039.jpg

P9180038.jpg

ak-milw

May 16, 2004
I am currently selling off all my rolling stock and replacing them with Accurail. Like the others I put on metal wheels and Kadee couplers. Also the newer kits are coming with screws now for the coupler covers and wheels.

:cool:

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I think Accurail is the way to go. I to will be adding Kadee wheel sets and couplers. I think it will make for a superb cost effective fleet for someone like you or myself who sold off their previous rolling stock and want to start over. I like Branchlines offerings as well. I ordered quit a few of them also but I will have to wait and see how the quality compares before I order anymore. Had an awful time locating C&O boxcars and stumbled across Accurails line of "Data Only" boxcars as a cost effective replacement for Undecorated Kadee offerings. I ordered some Champs decals to decorate the Accurail boxcars. Thats the best I could do to come up with a reasonable ammount of decent quality C&O equipment. I'm starting completely over, Layout and all, so I have to make what money I have streeeeeeeetch a looooong way.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Thank you Steamer.....Seriously... I'm not trying to bragg or throw anything in ones face because thats not my style, but this is only just a very, very, very small portion of what I have ordered. I placed an order at internet trains.com for $1750.XX just yesterday and an $8XX.XX order with scenic express yesterday as well. I have been working 10 hour days 6 days a week since just after x-mas last year to pay the bills off & start a new layout by winter. I'm about broke now but I think I have invested about 4 large biscuits into this layout. Should prove to be a very nice project. I will post pics as orders arrive because I know some of you probably think I'm just blowin smoke.
Didn't even notice your avatar or the loco in your sig until just now. I understand why you can appreciate the beauty of these items now. :thumb:

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Pics added

Recieved one of my other orders today. Mostly scenic / terrain stuff
thumbsup.gif
. Some nice stuff here. This layout is going to be a beauty!! I'll post more pics as the goods arrive.
thumbsup.gif
Enjoy.
P9200050.jpg

P9200049.jpg

P9200048.jpg

P9200046.jpg

The supertrees look AWSOME!! There is about 300-400 of them in there. Should look much nicer than the ol foliage clusters on sticks I used before.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
These nice Accurail "Data Only" boxcars showed up today as well. I ordered some champs decals to make them part of my C&O fleet.

P9200059.jpg

P9200058.jpg

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
A few more items today....

12.jpg

I plan to do a write up on the A I M weathering powders and real rust in the Product Reviews section of the Tech forum once I give them a try. :thumb:

These sweet beauties came in just 10 minutes ago...very nice!
BRANCHLINE.jpg