Rocinante build No. 3

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Just finished season 2 of "The Expanse" (the season finale has a cool cameo by Adam Savage...) and so here is my third build of Michael Grosberg's fine design of the Rocinante.

For this build, I shrunk the model from 1/100th scale to 1/144th. The model builds into a fine replica off the page, but I added panel detail and other bits and pieces to enhance and accurize its 3D appearance. I also scribed and folded the lengthwise panels on the nozzle for the Epstein Drive to give it the faceted look of the "real" vehicle.

After the Roci got shot up in the raid on Eros (S2E2) the ship had some battle-damage repair patches applied at Tycho Station. I modeled them with small rectangles of thin light gray stock applied over blast marks from a dark gray marker.

Done just in time for season 3, which starts in April....

Attachments

• IMG_6598.JPG
    IMG_6598.JPG
    902.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6593.JPG
    IMG_6593.JPG
    701 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6579.JPG
    IMG_6579.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6583.JPG
    IMG_6583.JPG
    620 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6600.JPG
    IMG_6600.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 29

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Very nice!! This series is one of the best Sci Fi stories I have seen in decades. The Mormon Generational ship would be an awesome model. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The "Drop Ship" was definitely awesome. I found a picture that shows the scales of the ships. :)

Ship Scales.jpg

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
It's very well done. Great story lines. Riveting characters. And, let's be honest.... The ships are cool as heck. And they obey the laws of physics, sometimes to comedic effect.

The books it is based on are awesome as well.
They take place over a longer period of time. Right now the series is about the 2nd half of the 2nd book I think. By Book 7 (first of the three books that will be the final arc) Holden is an old-ish man with white hair.
Great to see how the things happening in the first half affects history. (But no spoilers sorry ;) )

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The series returns April 11th!! :)

Reactions: daishi

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Just finished season 2 of "The Expanse" (the season finale has a cool cameo by Adam Savage...) and so here is my third build of Michael Grosberg's fine design of the Rocinante.

For this build, I shrunk the model from 1/100th scale to 1/144th. The model builds into a fine replica off the page, but I added panel detail and other bits and pieces to enhance and accurize its 3D appearance. I also scribed and folded the lengthwise panels on the nozzle for the Epstein Drive to give it the faceted look of the "real" vehicle.

After the Roci got shot up in the raid on Eros (S2E2) the ship had some battle-damage repair patches applied at Tycho Station. I modeled them with small rectangles of thin light gray stock applied over blast marks from a dark gray marker.

Done just in time for season 3, which starts in April....

This ship is just way too cool!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It was just renamed!! :)