Road widths for N scale

cpNscale

Nov 13, 2003
Victoria BC
www.trainweb.org
Been a longtime since i last posted here, but have been very busy. But lately I have had a chance to get back to the timeless task of scenery.
Does anyone have a standard for road widths for N scale modeling?
More pictures will be posted here and on my webpage.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Uh...

..., how wide a road you need? I mean, there is no EXZACT N SCALE ROAD Dimension. Form follows function- basic engineering concept. You make it as wide as you need.

This is a run on sentence/paragraph-

I take (2) N scale vehicles, place 'em side by side. Now, follow me here- If it's a road that is a city street, which I happen to model more often than not- I provide parking sometimes. So I place (4) vehicles side by side allowing for just a little manuevering room. That street is (4) vehicles wide plus a little space between. If it's a one way street with alternate side parking- you have to listen to the radio to know when it's in effect. When modeling bridges and tunnels, well you have me there- just make sure your toll booths are wide enough to let your hands pull the cars past the booth and push them into the hole.:D I do it and so should you. Suburban streets are much wider, but not always. Heck- most suburban streets are merely paved over horse trails. You get into the country side where I am and there are stoops that are right up to the roadway- literally- put your foot out and it's gone- onna country road!!! Surrounding that house are acres of open field. If you're modeling corn fields and pastures with dirt roads- follow your nose.

If you're modeling streets that are outside you door- get a good tape measure. Report your results.

Otherwise all N Scale streets are 1.947 wide as a standard.

Here's a recent pic I made-

Story05.jpg

No one told me how wide to make the streets.

Mark:D

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
If you want to go "by the book ", Mr. Marty McGuirk in his very good book " N scale model railroading, Getting started oin the hobby " mentions that the road width is 24 scale foot .

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I would suggest that roads/streets can be measured in the real world and scaled down to N or whatever scale you model. Don't get run over in the process and stay off of the freeway. It all depends on what you are considering a road. Some rural roads are or were less than two lanes wide. Maximum vehicle width is eight and one half feet so that should give you a starting point.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I model Scottish minor roads that will take one car or a flock of sheep.
When I do (sub)urban streets, I make them just enoght for 2 cars -- I think it looks better. Where I live, if there's a parked car ahead, I don't pass it if someone's coming the other way, so maybe not 3 car widths.