Road trip to Fargo ND

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I had to go to Fargo ND this morning, about 90 miles. I stopped and got a few pictures of the Dillworth MN BNSF yard and the Ottertail valley building and 2 engines in Fergus Falls MN.
Picture198.jpg

Picture199.jpg

Picture200.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture203.jpg

Picture204.jpg

Picture206.jpg

Picture207.jpg

Rick

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Those are some nice shots. Looks cold and dreary to us weaterners. Where are all the trees? Seriously, I've been in that area summer and winter. Real challanging to operate a railroad (or anything else) back there in the winter.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hey that GP38-2 is a pretty rare find... It looks like it retained the complete original BN paint. More often than not the green-and-black units usually have the "Burlington Northern" lettering painted over and a big white "BNSF" stenciled in its place, plus some sort of "safety" scheme on the front like the whiteface.

Personally I liked the original "mean green machine" BN paint scheme the most. :D

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Jim, Dillworth is a couple of miles east of the Red River in the "flat lands"....no trees there.

The ones of the Ottertail RR engines are one block off of Main St in Fergus Falls.

Tom I've been told that they have 2 SW's in service there, one with the new paint and one a green machine!

Rick

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
That's my wife's part of the world. Her family used to work in the potato fields there when she was a little girl. She says that's why she never finished the first grade. She was at the potato harvest.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Dakota train said:
I wonder who is the snob that drives a limo to work. Must get paid to much!!sign1

Old-time railroad robber barons like Commodore Vanderbilt, James Hill, JP Morgan, et. al. would probably scoff. "Hah, you call that a limo? Mine is twice as big!" :D

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
LongIslandTom said:
Old-time railroad robber barons like Commodore Vanderbilt, James Hill, JP Morgan, et. al. would probably scoff. "Hah, you call that a limo? Mine is twice as big!" :D

Did any of them even live into the age of automobiles?

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Ralph, they bought up unused trackage from BN a few years back to serve the robber baron grain farmers in the Red River Valley in west Minnesota. About all they haul is grain and coal to one power plat. They do link with the BNSF main line.

They do give a lot of money to the Dalton Thrashers mans Association to maintain and run an old narrow gauge steamer.

Rick

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
#4731 and #5904 are C44-9W's..

The silver Super Fleet loco behind #4731 is an SD75M..

#9236 looks like an SD60M...

The other two Super Fleets (can't tell the numbers) are probably more C44-9Ws.

The Rail Americas look like early Geeps (can't tell if it was a -7, -9, or something else.. They all look very alike). :D

Hope this helps!

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Thanks Tom, I'm very good at Armor vehicle and Aircraft ID but really don't know much about trains.....and I like them!

If I was good at painting I would try to do my GP7 like that!

Rick

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Andy, nope it only gets -100 in Jan and Feb, the rest of the years it's only -40!

Next time I go up I'm going to stop by their office and ask about taking pictures and where the best place to do so.

Rick

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just checked Microscales web page, they don't make decals for Rail America. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult to paint that scheme, but the "Rail America" lettering on the side of the long hood would be difficult. Every since I saw the BNSF gp7 with "torpedo tube" roof mounted airtanks painted in the green & orange "pumpkin scheme," I've been of the opinion that model manufacturers are missing out by not doing some of their early model diesels in some of the current schemes used by modern railroads. How many modelers are there who are modeling 1990-the present who ignore any model of say a gp7 or 9 because it is too old for their model railroad, yet in the right paint scheme some of those old timers would fit right in to a modern railroad.