Road Signs

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Well, I have another good ol' question!

I've been doing a ton of work on the layout lately. A burst of enthusiasm, you may call it.

My recent project has been a road and its crossing over the BRB mainline. Pictures will come this weekend, along with a post in the HO forum to show my progress thus far.

Anyway, for the road and crossings, I need road signs (maybe a billboard too) era 1950s or so. I was hoping to save money (and besides, the LHS didn't have anything but those unrealistic LifeLike ripoff signs) and use toothpicks painted either FolkArt Acorn Brown or Floquil Concrete (whether I want wood or "metal") with styrene attached. The styrene would hold the sign printed off my inkjet printer.

So, my question is, exactly how big should the signs be? Does anyone have a handy sheet with scaled signs already? And do you like the idea of using painted toothpicks as poles?

Please let me know. Once I get these done, just another touch of detail will be out of the way! :thumb:

Thanks!

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Okay.

Well, the styrene I was planning to use is like .015" or something. Maybe I'll just glue the paper directly to the toothpick.

Great links, CN1. However, anyone know where I can get American 1950 highway (rural area) roadsigns? The link on one of those pages is nonexistant.

Thanks again guys! I appreciate the help!

:D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Trainwhiz, if you check my sig there's a link to my website. On it I have lots of roadsigns for download. Once you get to the site, click on the button marked "resources". The signs have to be sized down for printing. I usually make mine a scale 2 ft wide. Here's a sample.
hill.gif

Val

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Those are some great sign links! Unfortunately you didn't see many billlboards or traffic signs in the Old West. Not to be left out, I've made up a quick few samples for possible use. ;)
Doc

Attachments

• sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 48
  • sign2.JPG
    sign2.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 43
  • sign3.jpg
    sign3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 42

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Sir_Prize said:
Doc- :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D
Them's som good signs. They have'm in the big cities like Dodge & Denver, and Oklyhoma City didn't they? ;)
Actually, I think up until a few years ago, Scottsdale, Arizona had signs all over town with a horse and "Horses have the right of way". That's when it was a cowtown, and before it went upscale and trendy.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Now I think it says, "Mercedes have the right of way".:eek:ops: