right of way

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Another load, hauling off the sawdust. You can tell my logging area is still underway, or they are just not producing. Need stacks of milled wood. Still playing with something that might look good. The styrene is okay, but going to try and slit some of the wood veneer they iron on plywood edges.

Attachments

• mvc-019s.jpg
    mvc-019s.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 154

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
The wagon crossing the tracks should give way for two reasons, left coming traffic has right of way and he is on a side street while the other wagon is on the main road. Where's a traffic cop when you need one! All that aside, nice modeling Bill, excellent job on the sawmill. Have you checked out the scale lumber from Northeastern Scale Models for your piles of milled lumber?

Why the locomotive, of course! :D Horse and cart don't stand a chance against 600 horses charging down the track. Although, I wouldn't expect any loco to be 'charging' down that area of track. Just that '600 horses creeping down the track' doesn't sound the same.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks Charlie and Tyson, you asked for it. Robin, the wagons are from Musket Miniatures, LLC. They are metal and have fantastic detail. Saw one on a friends layout and he gave me the source information.

Good thing the wagons moved, my little 0-6-0 just pushed in two log cars. Still no production from the mill however.

Attachments

• mvc-003s.jpg
    mvc-003s.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 120

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
I reworked the work car after Shamus posted one of his. The picture of his work car showed me that I had provided no means of anchoring the tank to the car. Like his, I added two strong metal straps. Boy they sure would have been in one heck of pickle had they stopped short. The EPA would have closed down my little operation.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Log car detail. I needed weight on the cars so I made the logs from a clay like product called Sculpy. The material becomes hard with baking. The chain is pretty close to scale and was available from my local hobby shop.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 116

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Bill, you have one of the best layouts I have seen since I first saw Shamus's . The detail you have gone to is amazing. As this is in the N/Z forum a assume yours is N gauge. I am more than impressed and would like to see more of your work.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Tyson and Robin I assure you that I am 100% "N" scale. Be lost without my magnifying visor, different type tweezers and probes. My HO club asked me to detail several kit structures they purchased. Believe it or not, I am all thumbs with those moosey things. The Walthers fuel depot does not fit on my spray paint turntable, I find it hard to hold the detail parts, they keep snapping out of my tweezers. (Shouldn't complain, they are easier to spot on the floor) In the HO club I just like to work on scenery and doing the electrical wiring, oh! - that in addition to running nights.

Bill :D

Bill - I really enjoyed the pictures, and I was wondering where you got the chain from. I've been looking for a while, and it seems that I'm not looking in the right places. Several projects of mine are tied down waiting on some chain like that so I can tie them down (Har!). If you don't mind, what's the price like on that as well? Thanks

BDC

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi BDC,

Was tempted several times to go through the wife's jewelry box and find an inexpensive chain that might work, luckily for me I found the chain in my local hobby store. The pack is marked "Model Builder's CHAIN" I think it is made by "Builders In Scale". The chain I used is part #250, 40 links per inch, 18", black. I paid $2.98 for the 18" segment. I was surprised how far the 18" did go. Been using it for just about everything in my logging area and just used the last of it on the log cars. Hope you are able to locate some.

Bill P :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Bill,
That is some FANTASTIC work!!
I love all the detail, the rustic look, & especially that work car!
It's a rare & special treat to see this kind of modeling!
Thanks for sharing!