Richard ORR HO track etc

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by interurban, Jan 9, 2006.

1. interurban

interurban Active Member

2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Cool Chris - appreciate your posting the link!!

:thumb: Val
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Chris: that article should be read by anyone that uses lost wax castings. (I saw them do that on How it's Made or some such TV show.)
  4. zedob

zedob Member

Yeah, thanks for that article. I remember learning about ORR turnouts from an old traction nut in the early 70's and have always wanted to know more about Mr. Orr. I actually thought he had died.

I use the investment casting process on a weekly basis to make copings for porcelain crowns. It's interesting and fun work. I just don't have the capacity that he has.
  5. jetrock

jetrock Member

I don't know if Mr. Orr has died or is still around but very ill, but George Huckaby of CUSTOMTRAXX has taken over the Orr line...he knows his stuff! I suppose you could use investment casting on a small scale to make custom frogs and such.

I have a few Orr turnouts to play with but haven't actually installed any--I am trying to figure out how to adapt them to two-rail so I can use Orr turnouts on my switching layout, which will eventually feature both overhead power and diesel-electrics, which will require two-rail (unlike the PE, the SN didn't put trolley poles on their 44-tonners to trip signals) power. My current theory is to use the frogless Orr turnouts and make custom insulated frogs out of styrene or other non-conductive material, and include power-routing in the switch. That should allow the use of the single-point turnout without causing a short.
  6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Link Chris.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. ross31r

ross31r Member

i still havent been able to decide on my track layout for my line!

got something in mind but got to get the On30 up and running first!