Reversing Section Circuit

Hello fifer,

The simplest method I know of is to just add a snap switch in parallel with your turnout switch motor. The track power goes to the 2 inputs and the 2 outputs pairs are crossed (reversing) and continue on to the isolated loop track. This solution requires you to stop the train and throw the points then switch the reverse button on your cab before continuing. I can draw you a picture if it's not clear.

I have 2 reversing loops but use toggles so that I can run through without stopping...if I feel lucky.

Hello Fifer,

I posted an almost automatic circuit that allows drive on drive off loops in the H0 forum under the reverse loop thread.

I say almost automatic because it requires you to push a button to throw your turnout points. All other functions are transparent. Cost approximately $10.

If you want more info please ask.

Hello Mike,

I know nothing about tortoise motors but if they need a constant ON to work then you will need to buy another snap relay to actuate it. When you tap the momentary button the 3 relays will fire and the tortoise will be powered.

If you have multiple reverse loops or wye's then you will need to add all 3 snap relays to make each of them work. You can NOT use the Cab relay for more than one reverse you have to add to the ladder for each one.

I think the Atlas snap relay pictured is properly called a latching relay.

Woops! Panic, I just realised this won't work with multiple cabs unless we add some smarts, how many cabs do you have?

Thanks Tony

Thanks Tony for all the help , I'll really have to give this one some thought.
Gary:
I went back to DC because I got tired of , just about the time I would get all my loco's equipt with the latest decoders they would re-invent them with transponding , Back EMF , speed stabilization and on and on. Well I decided I was tired of messing with locos all the time and waiting for decoder's to be produced or in stock . I am really happy with DC and for me it's a time saver.
That said , I wish someone would have told me that Lenz is truly the best and most user friendly of the midrange and up makers.
They have super service and warrenty policies.
I'm just an 8 Track kind of guy, I don't even own a DVD player.
Thanks Guys , Mike

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mike, I want to reply but want to first say I hope no one construes my reply as a DCC user trying to convert the world. I went DCC several years ago, before transponding, etc, and I still buy the inexpensive feature free decoders. I have no desire to use all the newer features available, but will never leave the basic advantage of loco selection over block control, and reverse loop automation, which you are currently struggling with. There's no reason to have to go top of the line. BTW, I'm an 8 track kind of guy too (do have a dvd player, but it was a gift, I swear!)

I Agree

Gary I agree with you . I loved the DCC when it was going well , but I had trouble running different makers decoders together.
Even after setting speed table CV's , I would run them one day and they would not run together the next . The last straw was when I forgot to switch the switch on the program track and reprogramed all the loco's on the track. I then learned to write down all the settings in a book on all of the loco's . I was also going from HO to N Scale and found most decoder instalations hard even with a milling machine.
I still have DCC on ON30 modules.
I also don't expect everyone to share my move to DC , I just figured if blocks are good enough for the prototype it was good enough for me.
Thanks Gary , Mike

Hello Mike,

Giving it some thought the best solution for multiple cabs is to add a rotary selector to interrupt the earth on the cab relays. This will mean that sometime before you switch the loop turnout you will have to select the appropriate cab. This won't require timing or resetting. I could draw a picture if you want me to.

Come to think of it you could reduce the number of relays by adding another rotary so that the cab relay can select the reverse loop.

This may sound complicated but in practise you would simply preselect the cab rotary switch then preselect the loop rotary switch and simply run through the loop throwing the turnout points as mentioned before, as you approach the next loop you will have to preselect that loop and continue. If another operator needs the previous loop they would first select their cab and then you get to fist fight over who loops first. The selector switch is released for next selection the instant the winner's turnout points are thrown so it doesn't have to be a particularly bloody match.

With 2 reverse loops and 3 cabs this is likely to cost almost $50. Going up ain't it? Regarding your DCC frustration I too have been puzzled by the earlier systems which offer less than I have in DC although it would be cheaper. If I needed more than a 3+1 Cab layout I think DCC would save a lot more pennies.

I am intrigued by the latest revision which finally makes sense. Without feedback the train module computer is nothing more than a dumb actuator. A model aircraft R/C could do just as good a job. With feedback however the entire scenario changes for the better. The possibilities for proto style operations become awesome. Trainsim style information and effects to run your railroad. If you would excuse the dream, looking down at the full colour display on the throttle pad to see the fuel and water gauges, speed, distance, time, even a cab view if you have the cameras mounted. Not that far away.......