Replicating a photo

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I was browsing through the Penn Central Online site and came across this photo which I unintentionally had replicated (to an extent) on my layout. It made me think it might be fun to invite everyone to post a prototype pic or link along with a model picture that is similar to the real thing. :thumb:

Here's the real thing: http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/eastern/prr6228.jpg

...and my model pic that struck me as looking similar. The wood posts in front of the engine area are for the nearby car float wharf on my layout.

Attachments

• engineservice.jpg
    engineservice.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 171

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice, Ralph! :thumb:

I used to see those big black "keystone" units occasionally when I was a kid, running on L&N trackage here in KY...
Ahhh, yes...sweet memories! :cry:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Ralph, i thought this was an AWESOME thread idea!:thumb: wish it would take off, i am sure many of us have pics similar to whats on our layouts;). I'm going to put another example in to bump this thread up:D. BTW Ralph, i seen your trainroom/huge layout/GREAT work YOU have done on another thread, REAL NICE!:thumb::D your "controller" is slap AWESOME!!!:thumb::D THANKS!:D View attachment 27241 View attachment 27242

Attachments

• rep5a.JPG
    rep5a.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 114
  • rep5.JPG
    rep5.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 117

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks for the bump and the pics! I appreciate your enthusiasm for this thread. I think it might be fun for a number of people but imagine that many (like me) are in the process of creating a pic and need a little time. After finding that photo of the PC units at the sand tower and then realizing I already had a similar shot, I decided to intentionally model another photo from that fan site. I chose a picture of a large railroad crane and ended up painting and numbering my old Tyco crane to look as much as the prototype as possible. Unfortunately my photos are out of focus :curse: so I need to take some more. I REALLY need to get a digital camera!!! :D

Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
OK, I took another roll of film and got some better layout pictures including these of a crane specifically based on this photo from Penn Central Online:

http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/equip/pc50087gam.jpg

Here's my photo. The crane's aren't exactly alike but I decided to use a Tyco crane I've had since I was 15. It was originally red and lettered for the Santa Fe with a matching MOW car. I painted it black and used Microscale decals to number my crane the same as the prototype. I also added some yellow handrails and tried positioning it like the fan site photo.

Attachments

• crane1.jpg
    crane1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 90

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Here's my version and the original inspiration pic.
Doc
adb.jpg

Attachments

• coffins.jpg
    coffins.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 69

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Ralph, GREAT JOB on your pic!:thumb:, you have done a REAL NICE job on your crane too!:thumb: after reading your post i had to laugh, I TOO, still have the old Santa Fe red Tyco crane from my childhood;):thumb::D. **Doc, GREAT PIC!:thumb: **zedob, i use backgrounds from Scenic Accents, its not ground foam. **Now we are getting somewhere:thumb:, i was hoping this thread would catch on:D. keep the pics coming guys!:thumb: THANKS!:D