Replacing broken turnouts

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
I got stuck into changing out several more turnouts over the past few days. Here's the progress so far.

afq.sized.jpg

afr.sized.jpg

afs.sized.jpg

aft.sized.jpg

Next for some paint...

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Thanks chaps and chapesses.

The snowscene is my British 00 scale layout, although US visitors do occasionally visit. I'll hunt down a how-to on the snow that I did a while back.

In the meantime, here's a couple more pics.

aar.sized.jpg

aan.jpg

aaa.sized.jpg

Jon

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
This is a good example of why it's not a good idea to glue down track to the roadbed !! Turnouts do wear out over time and need replacement.

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
wjstix said:
This is a good example of why it's not a good idea to glue down track to the roadbed !! Turnouts do wear out over time and need replacement.

Yup, I tend to pin the track down and glue the ballast in place with dilute wood glue. When dry, I remove the pins and let the ballast hold the track in place.

When I want to lift the track, the glue can be softened with a spray of water, even after more than a decade.

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Dick Elmore said:
What kind of snow and trackside shrubbery are you using?

Dick,

the snow is Dulux Matt paint, although the fields have a sprinkling of Woodland Scenics 'snow' applied while the paint is still wet.

The shrubs are mainly WS clump foliage and their ordinary foliage, although there is some rubberised horsehair in there somewhere too.

Jon