Remote contrl locos on U.P. Anaheim branch.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The company I work for has a service agreement with Anaheim Union High School District to maintain the refrigeration units on delivery trucks used to deliver food to various school cafeterias. I noticed warning signs on the Anaheim Branch of the U.P. warning of remote controlled locos working trains on the branch. When I saw them I wondered how they could get away with operating remote control locos in the city without any fences around the right of way to keep children away?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I don't think children playing on the tracks is even an issue with RC units. The biggest reason for the signs is so people don't panic when they see a train moving without anybody in the cab.

Brian...been there, done that...got wierd looks from the locomotive engineer who was sitting on the rear steps of the rear unit of the 2-unit SW1200R R/C combo. The 2 units were running front-to-rear (elephant style :D ) and he was on the steps out the back of the cab on the rear unit.

Brian Schmidt said:
...The biggest reason for the signs is so people don't panic when they see a train moving without anybody in the cab...

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Who knew how prototypical we were being by running our trains with hand held throttles. :D Now if only I could figure out what frequency they are running on. :rolleyes: As cool as it is, I have heard of quite a few engineers that are upset, can't say I blame them.

Freelancer

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
The problems with railroads is that they will continue to get away with the operations of those things in populated areas until there is a disaster.