rechargeable battery locos

jonno w

May 25, 2004
Does anybody know whether a rechargeable battery mechanism exists either ready made as an On30 locomotive or as an HO mechanism suitable for kitbashing? If such exists, Is it available in Australia and does it have a radio control system or similar?

Good health, folks Jonno:thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I've been considering building a battery powered RC switcher. Haven't got around to it yet, (too many other projects). :rolleyes:
The plan was to use the electronics from one of those Matchbox size RC cars powered by batteries that are recharged from the track voltage. A 3 volt motor from a cassette player would replace the 12 volt motor of the loco.
This is one of the 3 volt motor transplants I did.

Attachments

• tycomotor7.jpg
    tycomotor7.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 95
F

Fred_M

I tried it a year ago and was unhappy with battery life. You will be suprised how much power you need and how long you run your trains. 6 fully charged 1.8 Ah NiMH would only pull 6 cars and a loco at scale 40 mph for 20 min. That was as a test bed with no electronics or such installed powering a well used Athearn GP7 with the batteries being towed in a boxcar. I didn't even run the headlight. Fred