rails

John Sneed

Nov 15, 2001
Columbia, Mo
Visit site
I'am readly to start laying out my track plan now and had a thought. side by side tracks are 21/2 in. apart. Is that rail to rail or center to center? Also I'am planing a double crossover, so do Ineed to move the tracks farther apart for that? Thanks alot in advance. John

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi John, I'm guessing your modelling in HO scale. The 2 1/2" spacing prolly means on centers. The standard practice is 2" on centers for straight double trackage and 2 1/2" for curved.
With that said. I'm fudging some on the spacing but I'm running smaller locos and shorty cars.

t.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
That 2 1/2" is center to center..I think that 2 1/2" centers is a wee to much.Of course if you are happy with that spacing then by all means use it.I perfer 2" centers in the yards and 2 1/4" centers on the main.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
John, Track spacing is center to center, tho I often measure from rail to rail as it is easier. Same thing either way, as long as you use the same rail on both tracks! In regard to the double crossover, or single crossovers for that matter, buy track now and determine the proper spacing prior to commiting to one.

Gary