Railroad Regalia

Hats for Railway Workers

Can anyone help with a pattern for Hats for rail workers of the Steam and or Diesel transition era ?
For Either Station staff, yard workers, engine men or conductors
I've searched the web and ebay, and so far found nothing close.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers, Damien.

glenn railey

Aug 7, 2005
Georgia
You can order one for less than $8.00 from H&R Trains in St Pete, Florida. I bought one a few weeks ago when I was in the store. They are really nice and have great quality.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Damien:
The traditional engineer's hat Looks to me to have been made from a square of cloth, folded up into a box, with the surplus cloth inside, with a 1" band of material run around the bottom edge, then a peak added in from (not sure how). Inside hat band added.
Material is "hickory stripe" -- blue and white 1/16" stripes. This would be matched by the overalls.
(Note: this is not the hat shown by LisaP4 on RMWeb).
Conductors and such wore a stiff cylindrical hat with peak, with gold braid. Other working staff would have hats resembling military officers, while officials wore civilian hats.
Current railway wear seems to be "baseball" or "tractor divers" caps, with various inappropriate symbols.

glenn railey

Aug 7, 2005
Georgia
Jodam: They have a website. I believe it is HRTraines.com. You can do a search for H and R Tains and it will come up.
They have an extensive library and classes on all aspects of train modeling. They probably have the patterns that you are looking for.