Rail feeders - Bus connection

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by Fluesheet, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

I completed a major infrastructure project last night - installing a power / control bus and feeders to the rail. Up until this time, I simply had the command station attached to the rail in one place.

I chose to solder the feeders to the bus. When attached in this way, is it typical to insulate this connection?

While I don't mind soldering to the bus (although stripping is a pain), I'm certainly willing to try a "tap" into the bus. Are there taps that will accomodate a 12ga. bus and 22 - 24 guage feeders? The ones I've typicaly don't have such a large difference between the "tapped" and feeder side.

2. jwmurrayjr

jwmurrayjr Member

The 14/18 AWG "tap-in" connectors will take wire smaller than 18AWG if you just double the wire back on itself before inserting it into the connector. Do you need 12 AWG? I'm not implying that you don't.:)
  3. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

No, I don't NEED 12 AWG - but it's what I had on hand, so that's what got used... :D

Probably some of the "bigger is better" thinking going on there as well...
  4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Don't know about the taps, but I insulate where I solder feeds to the bus. I use a product called Liquid Tape. It is very thick, like tar. Comes with a brush on the cap, making the work go very quickly.
  5. dwight77

dwight77 Member

Fluesheet: Stripping wire on a bus is a snap with the tool shown below. I am sure your local Northern Tool, Lowes, or Home Depot will have a similiar tool

Home >Hand Tools >Cutters > Item# 96751 [​IMG][​IMG]See Larger Image[​IMG]
    Gardner Bender Wire Cutter — 8in.

Ideal for stripping solid or stranded wire. Automatic jaw–loaded wire stripper self adjusts to strip wire. Crimps insulated, non–insulated and ignition terminals. #10–#26 AWG.
    In Stock
    Ship Wt. 1.0 lbs... Calculate Shipping
    Item# 96751 Discount Price $14.99
    110% Guaranteed Lowest Price!
  6. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

That tool will strip insulation in line? Very nice, thanks for the idea - that would have saved me an hour of work!
  7. hminky

hminky Member

8. dwight77

dwight77 Member

Fluesheet - the tool I showed a picture of is designed to strip inline. It has a clamping jaw and a sharp edge jaw. You place the wire so that the clamping jaw holds the wire in place and the sharp jaw splits the insulation and compresses it to the right on the wire. You only get a space of about 3/8" but it is plenty of space to wrap a feeder wire to and then solder.
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you slide some heatshrink tubing on your buss before you solder in the feeder, that will do the trick too...