Rail construction train?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by LoudMusic, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    I don't know what to call this to search for more pictures. My wife (and puppy) and I were in Jefferson City, MO for the weekend to take pictures of their capital building. Between the capital and the river is a small UP rail yard.


    I didn't take the time to get a good picture, but you can sort of see it here. Rather long green cars with lengths of rail on roller-racks and a few hoppers with ballast. I'd like more / better pictures if anyone has some, or at least a more technical name for these highly customized cars. Also, does anyone make a kit model of them? Might be a fun addition to a larger layout.
  2. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    Those cars carry ribbon rail..This is also known as welded rail and usually comes in 1000ft lengths.
  3. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    That's pretty awesome. Makes me wish I would have taken better pictures! :)
  4. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

  5. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    And a wealth of infos.


    Also from that page:


    I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bunch of rail.
  6. kf4jqd

    kf4jqd Active Member

    That is cool! It's the same way track was laid in the early days of railroading but with steam!


Share This Page