Quickie Question

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by OnTrack, Oct 23, 2006.

1. OnTrack

OnTrack Member

I have a few of these laying around with all the original parts for each (got them from a buddy of mine), and the black part the actual machine that swtiches the track is detachable, is there any way i could mount these under the table the same way you would using the tortoise motor system?

Attached Files:

• 850.gif
      File size:
      24.7 KB
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I have an article on this from MR about 20 years ago I'll see if I can dig up. Essentially, you remove the switch motor, then bend the actuator rod down 90 degrees. Drill a small hole in the center of the throw bar then attach the switch motor to the turnout from underneath, running the actuator rod thru the hole in the throw bar. When you set the switch in the roadbed, cut out the cork and subroad bed to clear it.
  3. OnTrack

OnTrack Member

That would be cool if you could find it, thanks man appreciate it.
  4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

...or couldn't you just remove the motor, trim down the switch rod, and place a wire through the little hole in that first tie of the switchpoint, and attach the tortoise to th little piece of wire??
  5. Collyn

Collyn Member

atlas sells the under mount swich machines and essentially they are the same thing but with a push rod that bends up at a 90.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The rod that sticks out of the end of the switch machine cannot be bent - it is plastic and will probably snap, or at least be very weak. You might be able to cut of the end and drill a hole for a wire that would run up to the turnout.

However, I believe that you can buy the appropriate part from Atlas that will convert it from on-table to under-table.

If you don't want to do that, you can mount the switch motor directly to the bottom of the ties of the turnout and cut a space in the roadbed. Just be very careful when ballasting that you don't fill the switch motor with glue...!

7. OnTrack

OnTrack Member

Ok i got it. Shay, and mason I used your idea's and it works great. Thanks guys.
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Tellin' my age widdat, ain't I? Back in my day they was made o' wire...:thumb:
  9. OnTrack

OnTrack Member

Well it works, you heat the plastic piece just a little flex it to the shape you want in my case a 90 degree, and let it cool for a sec, works like a charm.
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Great! Glad you found a solution. Got any pictures of what you did?