Questions about Bachmann's N 2-8-0

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Here's the burning questions before I commit myself to one....

1) Does this Bachman N gauge 2-8-0 loco feel happy going round 9 3/4" radius curves?

2) What type of coupler is fitted as standard on the tender .. Rapido or MT??

3) If Rapido is fitted can an MT coupler be fitted easily?

Errol (the steam nut :) )

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Errol,

1. My 2-8-0's don't like the short radii. I have 2 of 4 that come off the rails on 17" Yet my Mikados chug along with no problem. Gauge of the track seems to be correct.

2. All of mine came standard with the Rapido coupler.

3. It doesn't appear to be a hard conversion to M-t's. I just haven't got to it yet. I'm not sure which coupler is the one to use.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks David,
I'll assume the 17" you mentioned was an 8 1/2" radious curve.
Charlie told me the tender coupler already fitted doesn't leave much "swing" of the truck that's next to it.
That 2-8-0 is one beautiful looking loco, but I have no hobby shops a reasonable distance from me who sells those puppies.
I have four old Rivarossi of USRA design (2-8-0 / 0-8-0) which have no problem on 9 3/4" curves.
Dang it, I love steamers :) :) :) .

Errol

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I have three of the new Bachmann 2-8-0's. I only have two places on my layout where I have 9 3/4" curves and these don't seem to bother my locos. The bulk of my curves are 11' or greater. I didn't attempt a pilot conversion to MT's but the tenders were a snap. I removed the B'mann boxes, couplers and springs. Making sure I had a nice flat surface to which to mount a coupler box, I used MT 2004 coupler asemblies. I cheated, too, by just mounting with a couple of drops of "Goo".

Dick

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack
......That 2-8-0 is one beautiful looking loco, but I have no hobby shops a reasonable distance from me who sells those puppies.

Errol

When no LHS is available use mail. I bought 3 of mine from Model Expo (www.modelexpo-online.com) and one with a decoder installed from Tony's Trains. Both were very reasonable. In fact the Model Expo sells them for $69.99US which is less that I have seen them elsewhere.

My derailing problem happens only on one spot on the layout where I have a 17" radius curve. All of my other locos and rolling stock go through the curve fine but the 2 2-8-0's seem to have a problem with the curve at slow speed. If I increase the speed they tend to stay on the track all the way around the curve. I haven't tried elevating the outside rail yet. that may be the next possible fix. I am redoing some of the trackwork as explained in another thread because of some heat expansion and bulges in the straight runs.[

absnut, Thanks for the quick fix on the MT's. Got to make a hobby shop run:) :)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
David, Dick and you Charlie (for your e-mails on it) thanks for all the info. I just checked my supply of MT couplers, seems I have every type EXCEPT the 2004's!! :( .

I'm not sure I would buy one of those locos, I have it in mind to put up my HO Spectrum version as a swap for one. It would break my heart to part with the HO one as it's perfect, mint in box, AND it's too long for my Atlas turntable! :( . Just another reason I'm shutting down HO'ing and going N gauge.

Anyone want to swap my Western Maryland HO 2-8-0 for the N version (any roadname)?? DCC isnt fitted in it.

Once again .. thanks guys.

Errol

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Errol,

I suspect an MT 1015 will work just as well with the 2-8-0. I only mentioned 2004 because N Gauge Supply mentioned that one. I think the major difference is that the 2004 has a thicker knuckle (from top to bottom) than does the 1015.

Dick

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by davidstrains

My derailing problem happens only on one spot on the layout where I have a 17" radius curve. All of my other locos and rolling stock go through the curve fine but the 2 2-8-0's seem to have a problem with the curve at slow speed. If I increase the speed they tend to stay on the track all the way around the curve. I haven't tried elevating the outside rail yet. that may be the next possible fix. I am redoing some of the trackwork as explained in another thread because of some heat expansion and bulges in the straight runs.[

I returned home from a Greenburg's Train Show and want to update and correct this post. ALL of my Bachmann 2-8-0's have NO PROBLEM with the trackwork. :eek: :eek: I am the one that made the error. :eek: :eek: My track leading into a #6 Peco is coming off a curve and hits the end of the turnout at an angle. This is where the derails occurred. As a result of the heat warps I have redone that section of track and have straightened the entry into the turnout. I have been running the 2-8-0's for about 3 hours and have NOT had a problem here or anywhere else on the layout.:) :)

I also had some difficulty with "pulling power" on almost all of my engines. After some discussion with a Prince William Ntrak Club member I found that some of my M-T conversions needed the washer shim as the cars did not roll freely.:eek: :eek: Bought another package of trucks and couplers and spent about 45 minutes putting the washers on the bolsters and putting on the new sets of trucks and couplers. Here is the result. What I am showing here is one of my 2-8-0's hauling a string of 19 cars + a caboose, for a total of 20, up the 2+% grade with no slipping. Errol this engine is a great runner and puller:) :)

Attachments

• dsc00100.jpg
    dsc00100.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 104

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks for the update David, That loco sure is top drawer stuff!! I doubt I would ever want it to haul 20 cars though, hmmmm on second thoughts... maybe I will if i ever get one :cool: :cool:

I've never heard of the shims you talk of. I convert all my rolling stock to the MT truck/couplers and have never had a problem.

Errol

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack

I've never heard of the shims you talk of. I convert all my rolling stock to the MT truck/couplers and have never had a problem.

Errol

Errol,

In the package with the trucks/couplers there are sprues with extra bolster pins and a washer for each truck. I didn't have a problem on some of the Atlas cars but on Bachmann and some of the "off brands" that I picked up at the show 4 for $10.00, I originally mounted the trucks without the washer. But as I found out the car sits too low and drags the wheel. After putting on the washer, all of my cars travel forever with a little push. That makes for longer trains:D :D :) :)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks David, I have about 15 Bachmann cars needing conversion trucks. I haven't done any yet as I got bored converting about 50 Atlas and Lifelike cars. I wondered what the washers were for :) .

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Errol,
I'm not the expert on N scale, but, I finally got a chance to set up a 9" radius curve, and my N scale Spectrum 2-8-0 had no problem with the curve. In fact, at 9" radius, there was still some play, in that there was no binding of the drivers. Also ran a couple of pieces of rolling stock with no problems.
Pete

Attachments

• n280r9a.jpg
    n280r9a.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 65

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Whoops. Just had my first problem with my Bachman 2-8-0. One of the rubber traction tires came off. Caught it before it wound itself around the driving rods. It slipped right back on so no problem I hope. Haven't run it yet to see if it stays on. Will test it later today.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Dick,

One of my three 2-8-0's did that once.... I suspect it was because I overloaded it and caused the wheels to slip. Hasn't done it again.

Dick