Question on lionel 027 set

leew

Jan 4, 2007
I am fixing up a prewar Lionel 027 set. Among the cars are a 3651 log dump and a 3652 gondola. When I place either of the cars on the uncouple/unload track, no matter which of the two buttons I push on the controller, both the unload & unclouiple mechanisims activate. Is this the way they are supposed to work? If not, any idea what is wrong?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge Lee. I don't know anything about Lionel, but other members ay chime in with an answer to your question. If you don't get an answer in this section of the board, you might have better luck asking a moderator to move this thread to the O-scale/Large Scale forum.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Lee: probably not the way it's supposed to work. Are these cars with the box couplers and a sliding contact underneath that powers it? And the control section has only 2 extra rails?
The control box is a major contraption, with contacts on each side and insulators/spacers between them. Some of the old couplings were electrically operated, while others (only post war, I think) were magnetic.
olsens toy trains has online instruction sheets and parts lists (if you can navigate the site) and you may find something there; they also sell spare parts.