Question of the day, 11-21- train shows

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
I NEVER miss train shows in my area!:thumb: the farthest shows i go to is in Milwaukee thats about an hour away, the Madison show is about 45min away, and the show in Lena Illinois is about 45min away. i go to 4 other shows, but they are all less then 30min away. i have GREAT LUCK finding deals on NEW engines and other items at the shows, thats why i NEVER miss them:thumb:. Deano

stump7

May 15, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
don
For years I traveled 3 1/2 hours to the annual show at the Big E in West springfield MA. That includes several times in blinding snowstorms. This summer I traveled 4 hours to Durango for the Narrow Gauge Convention. This will be the second year I've gone to the show in Oklahoma City over 600 miles one way, this year I'm hauling two modules with me. I tend to go to the big shows, never made a local one here yet though there are some. I love the big ones because there is enough volumn to bring out the smaller venders you would never hear about otherwise and you can also get to meet some of the better known people in the hobby.
Stump7

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It often takes a while to decipher the jargon used to describe shows, and they may not always use the proper words.
It may also depend on what you're looking for, I know some people who are disappointed if anything is being sold for more than half retail price. Some shows are totally toy trains. A club Open House probably won't have any sales. A Meet will be modelling and talks. Around here a show usually has all of layouts, demos, and sales.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I get to go to 2-3 shows a year in either Dallas or Ft Worth, both about 75 miles away. I usually see the same vendors and modular displays each time. The real reason I pay the $7 entry fee is to get the home layout tour booklet. There's generally 20-25 to choose from in all scales and sizes. I like watching the progress on some of the larger club layouts, and the completeness of some of the individual layouts. Several of the larger clubs have moved in recent years so there is lots of activity in all stages at each of them. I have developed some long distance friendships with several individuals over the 15 or so years I have been visiting them. My favorite Ft Worth club layout is the Ft.Worth and Western in SE Ft. Worth, and the Southside Modelers near downtown Dallas.