Question: LIONEL 2348 Power needs

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by PostwarO, Dec 10, 2006.

  1. PostwarO

    PostwarO New Member

    Hello all, I think after reading several posts on this forum I may have come to the right place. So here is the question I could not find an answer for:

    I have two 2348 GP9s (1958) and need to know the power needed to run both together. I have an MRC TECH II transformer (never used) and was wondering if it would do the job. I have not tried it yet for fear of overload. I am not sure if the total cars connected makes a huge difference but the total I have is less than 50 and never would try to connect that many any way (not enough space). Side note, I have only ever collected and never actually have run them. Or should I just leave them on the display shelves?

    Thanks for the help,
  2. tracman165

    tracman165 New Member

    Very important, before you do this verify with someone else, but
    here is my suggestion. Am not familiar with your transformer, but I
    take it you have O gauge trains and transformer? On most transformers
    you have a throttle, the higher you go the more power (voltage), the
    more speed. Step 1: I would put both GPs in the forward only mode.
    Step 2: Test them separately on the track, then couple them together.
    and gently power them up until they move at the desired speed.
    Step 3: Add cars on accordingly, trying not to overload the engines.
    Hope this helps and didn't misunderstand the question asked.
    Again verify this with someone else, for I would hate for you to ruin
    your engines. Good Luck!
  3. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    You can check the MRC throttle, but I think all MRC Tech II throttles are designed for dc trains. Lionel trains run on ac. The MRC has a set of ac terminals, but they are constant voltage (16V I think) and are intended for running accessories only. To run the Lionel set you will need an ac power pack from Lionel, MTH, K-Line, etc.
  4. tracman165

    tracman165 New Member

    I do believe you are right Russ, but I did see in one of the train
    catalogs that MRC does make an O gauge transformer. So
    Postwar O hope you read this. You must have an O gauge
    transformer. Were the other steps correct Russ?
  5. Jim Krause

    Jim Krause Active Member

    Russ and trackman are correct. The MRC Tech II is a 12 Volt DC power supply for HO and smaller scales. I have one that I've been using for ??? years. Are the GP 9's HO or O scale? DC or AC powered?
  6. tracman165

    tracman165 New Member

    Hey Jim pleased to meet ya. In either case I believe the steps are
    correct, even for HO? Although I'm not that familiar. I know on O
    gauge trains, they have a switch somewhere that locks them into
    fwd, neu, or rev. Now HO is probably different?
  7. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    I'm not sure about Lionel, particularly those models equipped with magnetraction, but most locomotives should be just heavy enough that if they stall out, the drivers will slip on the track. An easy test is to put your hand accross the front of the locomotive to stall it and turn on the power, if the drivers spin on the track, you can't overload the locomotives with too many cars and do damage. If you put too much behind them, the train will just spin the drivers.

Share This Page