Quality of Fly Model's Ship?

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
I am wondering how good the quality of the ships from Fly Model? For example, USS saratoga? Is there any concerns that I need to know ahead before purchasing?

Thanks for your help.

JN

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Which Saratoga, CV3 or CVA 60? I ask because if you are looking for the WW2 ship GPM makes an excellant modernized Saratoga with camo scheme and 5' guns instead of the prewar 8". They also have the Lexington in Prewar garb with the 8" guns and a herd of biplanes. The Modern Sara is a huge kit, I've seen some builds on our sister sites and it didn't look like any big problems. I had this beastie once and the parts looked good, the aircraft were awesome looking, but it wasn't what I wanted to build and sold her out.

putzes

Jan 2, 2007
CVA-60 Saratoga can be built without problems. Major problem is the size (I've built one ;-)

Cheers, Old Rutz

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The Fly Saratoga was an OK model but lacks the detail of the GPM kit. It is also out of print which makes it sometimes hard to find and some owners want a premium. I'd go with the GPM offerings for either CV3 or 2.

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Seems I need some more explanation on this. This is what happened.

I have purchased some ship models. At the order time, I thought they are GPM models. However, later I found they are "Fly Model". (My misunderstanding).

USS Portland, Fly Model #131
USS Saratoga CV-3, Fly Model #81G

The price was ok too.

I wanted to buy 'GPM USS Arizona". The price tag was $69. Thought it is too expensive. Is this price in reasonable range for GPM models?

Thanks

JN

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
For Arizona, I would take a serious look at the Digital Navy offering. You have to print it out yourself, but it looks like an awesome model!

Regards,

cdcoyle said:
For Arizona, I would take a serious look at the Digital Navy offering. You have to print it out yourself, but it looks like an awesome model!

Regards,
I must reiterate!
The new Digital Navy Arizona is an awesome model!
My wife bought me this one for my birthday and you won't go wrong with this one!

Another great collection of digital models can be had at http://www.gremirmodels.com/

The only Fly Model ships I personally have ordered are sail ships so I cannot speak for the quality of what you seek.

As far as preprinted models are concerned;
For less money than you are tallking about and a better quality build than most, I would personally reccomend anything designed by Halinski!
You will not be dissappointed!

Russell

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
I second the motion, Digital Navys Arizona is the best out there. You can buy the cd pront off all you want, and I think Roman has preprinted ones as well. The Fly Portland is pretty decent, the Tone is very good but dated for detail, most of their current and newer releases are very good, some of the older kits are a little bare, or the parts and decks seem "cartoonish" and unrealistic.