Proto 2000 2-8-8-2 problems

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I have the Proto 2k 2-8-8-2 Norfolk and Western. I am having troubles keeping the coal tender on the track around curves. I am using 22" radius curves and I know I read a review saying it worked perfect on 18" radius curves. I put some weight in the tender and that reduce the problem but it still will jump the track on curves. The cures are level and it always seems to be the front trucks of the coal tender that derail. Any body have the same problem?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Check wheel gauge and check for any binding in your front truck. Also some of the steam engines also have a choice of two location to hook the draw bar between the locomotive and the tender. One location allows for scale distance between the engine and tender, but that requires a large radius curve. For smaller radius curves, they have a longer drawbar position the puts the tender farther from the locomotive. The other thing to look for is sometimes there are wires for the dcc plug going from the engine to the tender, so you plug your dcc decoder into the harness and hide it in the tender. If that wire harness is too stiff, it may tend to pull the tender off the track going around curves.