Project under Construction

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
O.K. I finally got a couple pics to post of my layout under construction. What is the best way to do it. Do I download the pics to this site or do I need to do a link to some where else????

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Those have to be the hUgesT photos I have ever seen on the 'net. My screen shows less than 1/4 of the actual image!

Looks like you are off to a great start!

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Roger, I have a web site that there posted to. I don't know why there so big, but I notice you can move them with the arrows.
Gary, I know you post pics, how do you do it?

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Nolink I use photobucket and link them at 800X600 image size. Do you have a option to resize them with your web site?

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
You can upload photos directly here to The Gauge. Down below the regular Reply window, you will find a "Manage Attachments" button. Click that, then you browse your hard drive, and then upload. This will automatically put the photos in your post. Give it a try, it is actually pretty simple and intuitive. Now the catch.... the image can't be larger than 640 x 480. I simply set my digital camera to take that size pics. Alternatively, you can resize them in a photoshop program.

The other way is to post them to Photobucket, which is free. Then do as mentioned above, choose the 800 x 600 option for displaying. Use the "Mountain" icon above to put the link in.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I'm talking about the "image" icon. This is in the "post reply" window, directly above the rectangle where you type in replies. It is the yellow square with the "mountain" in it.

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
I just took some pics using 640x480 and to say the least the quality stinks. I will try the 800x600 to see how that works but that will have to wait now. I want to finish the last 2 lines at the upper end so I can start with some scenery. Thanks for the tips though.

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
OK, just wanted to show a couple pics before the scenery starts.
Below is the boxes, as I call them that I make. Also there is a set of the next boxes for the other side. I started reading in the Academy about Robin (Matthyro) and all the things he did with cerial boxes and cardboard boxes and it got me to thinking. I was going to have a lot of inclines and declines and at $11 to $13 a set that was a lot of money. So I decided the boxes were free "or almost" and to make a 2% incline or any incline for that matter I could make my "boxes" from cardboard. A little foam and some hot glue and some liquid nail, Good to go. I use a 4' piece of foam and then cut my cardboard boxes to 4'. For a 2% incline " 2 inches in 100" I changed it a little I went to a 2.0833% incline 2" in 96" that works better with my 4' sections.
dec09_07.jpg

One of the inclines I was talking about
dec09_05.jpg

Looking N.N.E. I'm ready to start the scenery in this area
dec09_06.jpg

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Well, I've been doing some work, but sometimes I think about things more than I work. I have started some of the scenery (landscape) but am not as far along as I would like to be. I wanted to tell everyone why I'm doing what I'm doing and why. My better half keeps asking me, "why did you built this the way you have so far"? She keeps telling me she can't hardly see anything. Well, in a way she is right.
I have talked to a lot of people that say they always wanted a train set above door height. They seen one at a resturant or in a hobby store or where ever, bla bla bla......... That is part of my reason. Another part is that it gives me a chance to work on scenery and landscape that I have never done before. I've been into trains since I was a kid. Most of my layouts were on a flat table trying to figure out how much track I could lay done. Never into the scenery part of it. So this gives me a chance to work on them parts of this hobby and the best part is, if I mess up no one will probably ever know. I'm setting this whole section up to be a resort type area. There will be caves to visit. Ponds to go fishing at. Bike trails, camping sites, picnik areas ect. ect. Anything you might want to do at natures resort. I found a scatch build building I made like 18 years ago up in the attic when we was pulling down Christmas stuff. I need to repair the roof and modify some stuff. I'm going to turn it into a depot / motel.
Any ideas from you guys would be great. Oh, I have a question here also. I was using all purpose joint compound on the wall on the outside and it cracked on me. Does that mean I put in on to thick? For anyone using Plaster of Paris.....using the "used" downy clothes you use in your dryer works great. I read it here at this forum. I tried it and it's works great. I've been talking to much for now. Like I said, any input you want to give me, I would be so thankful. Happy Holidays and now a pic for you. Only one tonight but more will be coming soon I hope.
dec17_01.jpg

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Had some time to do some work the last few days. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. I guess thats why I'm doing this project. Just put down some paint on the hills. Tomorrow I need to remove the masking tape and make sure everything is still working ok. Then re-mask and start putting some color in here.
dec21_01.jpg

Still need to repair that building but, that will be a little later. One more pic maybe a little clearer.
dec21_02.jpg

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Woke up early this morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. Thinking about removing the tape. I see it needs some touch up but, Most of what is white near the track will be hid by the ballast.
dec22_01.jpg

and one more
dec22_02.jpg

Hope to get more done today and over this 4 day weekend. Happy Holidays everyone.:thumb:

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Question on trees

Hey guys, I'm using the Woodland Scenics Tree Armatures here. Pictured below is (3) 3" trees I put together using Lichen. I was wonder how they look to you. Did I use to much Lichen or not enough? Does anyone have pics of trees you put together. Anyway, here are the pics.
dec23_01.jpg

And another from a different angle

dec23_02.jpg

I'm going to be making a lot of these. That's why I wanted your input..... Thanks.