Powerpack question

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi all
I have two older Troller Autopulse 2.5 type packs, a twin and a single. Both of these have a 0-12v Variable DC & - +14v DC access plug jacks. What is the diff between Variable DC and DC access?

t.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Hi T.
DC varaible is the terminals you connect your tracks to . It varies the dc output according to where you set your throttle for whatever speed you want.

DC access is a constant voltage to use for accesseries.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Thanks Dick, I guess I don't remember having two DC ports on my others. I think they where just DC for track and AC for accessary these have the AC access too.

t. - the resident electrical super idiot, hehehe

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Most of the modern transformers have DC for train control and ac for accessarys.. The constant DC voltage is fine for something like turntables. I had to buy a seperate transformer with rectifier to get DC for my turntable.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi t, Like others have side the +14V plug is used for DC accessories. Actually the connection will yield right at 12 VDC under load as the 14V rating is a no load rating. Its real purpose was for a handheld accessory throttle that was available to go with those powerpacks.

Don't sell those old Trollers' short...they were one of the best powerpacks ever made. I have two of them...one on the test bench and the other supplies current/voltage for my Soundtraxx sound system. No cheap components in them...they produce highly filtered DC and will not harm sensitive can motors.