Pop Ups and Links

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Did I miss something? Is it just me or are the rest of you having a deluge of pop up ads when viewing the topics on the Gauge? Also, what's with the underlined words, like WORK, HOME, with the hidden advertising links?
Doc

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
don't know, I use Mozilla, and there you can disable popups - what a relief it was when I switched to Mozilla 2 years ago. I think they (Microsoft) finally added the same feature to their IE.

Jesper

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
LiveSteamer said:
I have McAfee on my computer and once and awhile it will pick up spyware but not all the time. I guess it is time to talk to my brother about getting another virus scanner on here lol. :D

McAfee is a good virus scanner, but Spyware isn't a virus. Its a seperate kind of problem

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
I have some adware & spyware that my firewall would ask if I wanted to give them internet access, when I went to delete them, they had attached themselves to windows so windows thought it needed them to operate. Spybot search and destroy them! Thank goodness for the firewall. :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Once I switched to Mozilla, I never saw another popup. I am now using both Netscape 7.1 and Foxfire (a newer version of Mozilla), and both block popups as well. IE with Win XP, SP2 is suppose to do likewise but I don't use IE so I can't tell you how well it works. And yes, spyware detectors and firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm (firewall), Adaware and Spybot are essential to keeping your machine free of unwanted intrusions, and the best thing of all, every one of these programs including these browsers are free for the download.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Problem Solved

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Spybot- Search & Destroy and found the problem, as well as a host of other varmits I didn't know I had. :curse: It's amazing the crap you can unknowingly download. If you don't have it, I suggest that you get it. All is good.v :) :thumb:
Doc

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
For pop-ups and pop-backs I got Popupstopper Pro from Panicware. Costs like $30 but it was well worth it. Shoots down everything that tries to attack. Don't know how anyone can surf without it or something like it and ZoneAlarm to keep the nasties away.