Pop Ups and Links

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Did I miss something? Is it just me or are the rest of you having a deluge of pop up ads when viewing the topics on the Gauge? Also, what's with the underlined words, like WORK, HOME, with the hidden advertising links?
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Delete your cookies and try again... I had the same problem last week & it fixed it right away :)
  3. jkristia

jkristia Member

don't know, I use Mozilla, and there you can disable popups - what a relief it was when I switched to Mozilla 2 years ago. I think they (Microsoft) finally added the same feature to their IE.

4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I did what N Gauger did and it helped. I had no more pop ups popping up all over the place.
  5. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

I'm one of the lucky ones too, no pop ups, never had em.
  6. You probaby have a ton of Spyware on your system. download 'AdAware' and/or 'SpyBot'
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I was getting them too but recently ran and AOLspyware protection that solved the problem.
  8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I have McAfee on my computer and once and awhile it will pick up spyware but not all the time. I guess it is time to talk to my brother about getting another virus scanner on here lol. :D
  9. McAfee is a good virus scanner, but Spyware isn't a virus. Its a seperate kind of problem
  10. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

I have some adware & spyware that my firewall would ask if I wanted to give them internet access, when I went to delete them, they had attached themselves to windows so windows thought it needed them to operate. Spybot search and destroy them! Thank goodness for the firewall. :thumb:
  11. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Once I switched to Mozilla, I never saw another popup. I am now using both Netscape 7.1 and Foxfire (a newer version of Mozilla), and both block popups as well. IE with Win XP, SP2 is suppose to do likewise but I don't use IE so I can't tell you how well it works. And yes, spyware detectors and firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm (firewall), Adaware and Spybot are essential to keeping your machine free of unwanted intrusions, and the best thing of all, every one of these programs including these browsers are free for the download.
  12. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

"Spybot- Search & Destroy" and "Ad-aware 6.0" is what we stick on all the PC's in my Office.
    Works darn good. You can update them a bit to, if you spend money on them I hear they go
    even better.
  13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Problem Solved

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Spybot- Search & Destroy and found the problem, as well as a host of other varmits I didn't know I had. :curse: It's amazing the crap you can unknowingly download. If you don't have it, I suggest that you get it. All is good.v :) :thumb:
  14. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

You guys might want to try mozilla firefox web browser, it's free, and it's a lot less likely to pick this stuff up on your computer. As a bonus, it has pop-up blocking built in and it has "tabs". You can install it and keep IE if you like. http://mozilla.org
  15. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Sorry, Don, overlooked your solution :D well, I'll second it then :D
  16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Always nice to have reinforcements. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  17. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

For pop-ups and pop-backs I got Popupstopper Pro from Panicware. Costs like $30 but it was well worth it. Shoots down everything that tries to attack. Don't know how anyone can surf without it or something like it and ZoneAlarm to keep the nasties away.