"Pliobond"...Heard of it?

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Lighthorseman, Jan 8, 2003.

  1. Lighthorseman

    Lighthorseman Active Member

    Hello, everyone!

    I am looking to handlay some code 83 (Atlas) rail onto some basswood ties and have a glue question.

    All the articles mention the use of "Pliobond" glue, which is (?) activated or set by running a soldering iron* along the length of the rail.

    Can anyone answer a few questions for me? Here they are.

    1.) -Where do I find this stuff? Absolutely NO-ONE here seems to have any idea what this is, or who makes it, let alone where I might get some...this includes my local LHS.

    2.) -What about Walther's "Goo"? In another thread, someone mentioned "Goo" being used in the same way as this "Pliobond" stuff. Would "Goo" work as well as the "Pliobond"?

    3.) -I used gel CA in a diorama I'm working on, and it seemed to work well. However, that was just a short, straight piece of track. I've never heard of this method being used for actual running layout track. Ideas?

    Any and all help much appreciated.

    *- "Why isn't this working?"
    - "Plug it in, you idiot."
    - "Oh.":)
  2. Vic

    Vic Active Member

    Hi Steve, Yes I know about Pliobond. It is/was made by Goodyear. Quite frankly I haven't seen any in a long time and I'm just wondering if its still around. I seem to recall that the last time I had any of it I bought it at a local hardware store. It was very much like Goo but I suspect that it was sort of an "industrial strength" type liquid cement. Try checking with some hardware stores or industrial supply places.

    Found this....looks like its still around but now made by Ashland Oil Co....


    And here's where you can buy it....

  3. Gary Pfeil

    Gary Pfeil Active Member

    Steve, As I said in another post, I recommend spiking. I have used pliobond, as I recall I got it in a hardware store, I will look at the can tonight to see if I can glean any useful info from it. I only use it for code 55 or smaller, where spike heads would interfere with wheel flanges. As the fellow who started the other thread found, Goo alone just isn't going to cut it. I suppose everyone works with whatever method they are comfortable with, I like spiking. soldering to a pc tie every fourth to sixth tie would be my next choice.

  4. sumpter250

    sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

    Pliobond...........Jack Work!!!!
    Oh, we're not doing word association, OK. I believe you can still find Pliobond at True Value, or Ace Hardware stores. It's been several years since I last used the product.
  5. farmer ron

    farmer ron Member

    Steve, last time I picked up some was at Revy near here, try the big box hardware stores in your area in the paint department where they sell all the glues, that is where I found mine. Ron.
  6. farmer ron

    farmer ron Member

    Steve, also look at the thread done by Hunkiedoo "how do you
    prebend rail?" in the Tech Q's section.
    He glued his rail down and had nothing but grief later. I agree with Gary spike the rail down. Ron

    That horse and rider looks familuar???
  7. t. alexander

    t. alexander Member

    Hi Steve, I have used CA for glueing just about everything, But one of the materials it fails with is metal. It appears like it's working for awhile but will let go eventually.

  8. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah


    Goo is by Walthers or Hobbsco. Used to be the standard "glues everything" in model railroads. Very much a brown liquid rubber, cleans up with acetone. It is about the same age as Ambroid. I have two tubes downstairs, one not too old. Can make bulky joints. I used it on old wood + metal coach kits. Sticks very well to the cap on the tube.
    Do not confuse with Goo Gone.
    One of their ads was a cartoon showing wife and son standing straight out from the wall and saying "Now will you believe you're using too much Goo when you fix our shoes?"
  9. jimmybeersa

    jimmybeersa Member


    " Pliobond" is readily available in South Africa, at any hardware store. It's a Rubber based GOO mainly used as an adhesive for rubber applications , Deteriorates with time, would'nt have it near any layout of mine, Hate the stuff only good for repairing punchured inner tubes on kids bikes " And I aint got no kids "

Share This Page