Playing with trains

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
Has anyone here read sam poseys book? It's a good read, its amazing the amount of work that guy rolf put into his layout and still remained modest about the whole thing, i'd love to see a book devoted to poseys layout (Yes, i know half the book was about the birth and life of the midland but I'd love to see a book filled with pictures of the amazing scenery we only got a taste of in both ends of the book)

I give this book an 8 out of 10

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I just read it over the holidays. It's a good book, I disagree with some of his conclusions - like that there's a battle between 'operations guys' and 'scenery guys'. He overlooks that John Pryke and Tony Keuster are operators but have (or had) excellent scenery.

(BTW - I couldn't find anything on Trains.com about him or the layout??):confused:

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
me either, I have not seen or heard of, this book except for here. I went looking for the sceenics and could not find anything on the trains site,

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Sorry it used to be anything that was in the mags was on their web site and you could pull it up and view it. I quit going there because the site was so slow and for a long time you couldn't post pics either. Guess this is one more reason not to go back. I don't understand why the mag. company that is supposed to be the leader in the field has one of the poorest websites I have ever seen.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
wjstix said:
I just read it over the holidays. It's a good book, I disagree with some of his conclusions - like that there's a battle between 'operations guys' and 'scenery guys'. He overlooks that John Pryke and Tony Keuster are operators but have (or had) excellent scenery.

(BTW - I couldn't find anything on Trains.com about him or the layout??):confused:
I haven't read the book but agree on your disagreement (huh :confused: ) When I lived in California, I visited an L&N layout in the Santa Barbara area whose design and scenery was fantistic. We met thru the Ops Sig group and he holds regular serious OpSessions. :thumb: