Playing with Camera again...pics of engines...

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I was playing with the camera again, so I thought I'd share.

This is a pic of the new Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 Switcher I got in an Iron Duke train set (half-price sale at Hobby Lobby). This is my first attempt at weathering a locomotive. I don't have an airbrush or chalks, so I attempted to use watered-down acrylic paints. It turned out OK, I guess.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 230

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
And, just for laughs, here is the "studio" where I shot the pictures. The backdrop is the back side of an Eckerd's Savings Express train set box. The track is a little shelf diorama I made a long time ago. It's sitting on top of my son's box of crayons.

Attachments

• studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 216

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by roryglasgow
This is probably my most reliable locomotive:

Art imitates life...I love my HO steamers but, like the real ones, they are a maintenance headache and slowly giving way to more (much more, sadly) reliable diesel models. My HOn30 "Galloping Goose" model, built on an Atlas N scale chassis, ran flawlessly for over 16 continuous hours at a show recently, without a hitch. As in real life, my steam is run for shows and showing off, my diesels do the ops. (Sigh) Love the "backdrop":thumb:

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thanks for the compliments.

Racharg, I wouldn't rate the Bachmann 0-6-0 as a top performer, but it does alright for the price. Check out my previous post on improving the performance:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8057

Shaygetz, yeah, it seems to be a sad fact that the worst performing diesels often outperform the best performing steam engines... The main reason that I say that the SW-9 is my most reliable is because it goes backwards almost as well as forwards, and turnouts don't give it any problems. Neither of the steamers like going backwards.

Actually, though, my best performing loco is my Kato SD80MAC. I got it as a gift. Unfortunately, I don't have much use for such a large locomotive!

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Nice locomotives, the weathering is slight and doesn't overpower the model. Good job.

Your backdrop trick reminds of me when my dad first let me use his 35mm camera as a kid... I would take pictures of flowers and rocks in the yard before I came up with the idea to pose my G.I. Joe figures in front of his acrylic landscape paintings. Pretty fun stuff. :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Neat photos with that unusual backdrop and good looking locos Rory. Your weathering turned out fine. I see too many steam locos with too much weathering for my liking. Hostlers have to earn their keep so locos should be reasonably clean.

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Good Running Steam

Roryglasgow, Shaygetz and Racharg,

Guys, realiable, good running and good pulling steam is HERE! Kato 2-8-2, Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, MDC 2-8-0 and now Model Power's 4-6-2 and 2-8-2. I've had many friends run diesels on my layout and I can honestly say that the new generation of steam engines run just as well as Kato and Atlas diesels and in some cases better. I agree that until a few years ago N steam was awful but that has all changed. My layout is set in the 1920's, runs all steam and I hold occasional "official" operating sessions with friends, this was impossible not too many years ago. Steam Rules - Diesels Drool! ;)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Matthyro
Neat photos with that unusual backdrop and good looking locos Rory. Your weathering turned out fine. I see too many steam locos with too much weathering for my liking. Hostlers have to earn their keep so locos should be reasonably clean.

You're obviously too far north to have experienced holding your nose as a consist of Southern Pacific diesels rumbled by. Whatever made them go belly up, it wasn't their cleaning budget:eek:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Re: Good Running Steam

Originally posted by Cinnibar
Steam Rules - Diesels Drool! ;)

B&MC Corporate Representatives Hyram and Billy Joe Ray Bob felt it necessary to travel to Texas in the company pickup truck to "adjust" (usually thru the kneecaps) your passionate convictions concerning diesels. :eek::p ;) :D

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Notification

Shaygetz,

Eh-uhm.............the B&MC management would be ill advised to send Hyram and Billy Joe Ray Bob (how many people is that?)down to Alpine. A & T employees have proven to be fiercely loyal to steam.;)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Guys, guys...let's not let this get out of hand! We'd be more than happy to show Hyram (aka, Bubba) and Billy Joe Ray Bob (aka, Bubba) the types of locomotives that REAL men drive: STEAM! :D :D :D

Seriously, diesels are nice, but when it comes down to it, you can almost replace the drivers with a computer nowadays. :cry: