Plans for building the Schulz Brother's Icehouse

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
I was reading this book by Wayne and Mary Wesolowski called Model Railroad Scratchbuilding and by the way a very good book,and they mention about building this icehouse.Now from what i see this icehouse was done in N-Scale and i would like to do it in HO-Scale.The problem is that there is no measurements [sorry about spelling] for HO.So i was wondering if anyone has ever tried to build this and if someone may have the measurement's for HO. I don't remember even if they did the one's for N-Scale but ever view i seen of it in the book always said for n-scale.If anyone know's where i might find this in HO please let me know.
Thank You
Starman:thumb:

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
No trucklover they did not give the dimentions in n-scale. The only thing they show is the front view in n-scale and the side view in n-scale .Everything is in n-scale and i know with out dimentions it will be hard to know what to do.I really like the pictures of it but they are all in black and white.What do you think would be the chances that if i could e-mail them they would give me the dimentions and then maybe someone could tell me how to scale it up from n-scale to ho?

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Starman, if I want to scratch build a structure and I don’t have any measurements (nearly all the time), I look for details or objects in the picture I know the size of in HO (height of a door or a loading ramp, a boxcar or a truck standig close to the building etc.). I measure these objects in the pic and divide the size of the HO object by the measurement from the picture. Now I can use this factor to multiply all the measurements of the structure I can take from the picture to get the right dimensions in HO. This method is not absolutely accurate, I know, but most of the time, it’s good enough.

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
Thank You cnw that sounds like a good ideal.I will try and do that and see if i can come p with it in HO scale.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If the drawing is "to scale" for Nscale (i.e. drawn at 1:160), you can enlarge them on the photocopier 183% to get HO sized drawings. Then you can take the measurements directly off the drawing with an HO scale ruler.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
An easy way to re-scale the drawings is to use your N scale ruler to measure the drawings, then use your HO scale ruler to measure when you're laying out the parts.

Wayne

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
Doctorwayne and Masonjar these are great suggestion's but i am in the same boat as masonjar is.My ruler does not have n-scale but does have everything else,so i will go with the photocopier.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
If you have a nice ruler...you can always just measure...multiply by 160...divide by 87.1...and then you have a real world measurement. I use that method whenever working with S scale drawings, as my scale ruler is only O and HO.