Pine View Logging Camp

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have chosen Shamus's suggestion for a name to my logging camp"Pine View" In the photos you can tell all the loggers are out clear cutting further down the track so the cookies have the camp to themselves and are catching a nap before starting the evening meal for the returning starving loggers.

Attachments

• camp1.jpg
    camp1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 272

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Robin my friend, thats one sweet look pair of photo's, and the setting is excellent. Looks perfect. Just one question, who makes those fab looking backscenes.

Shamus

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi Robin, you cardboard wizard!

This scene looks fantastic. Your series of unpainted cardboard camp houses (on your TV table) now changed into a very convincing settlement. The same (cheap) oxide brown color for all the houses, no comfort, no cozyness. Must have been a hard and dreary life for the lumberjacks in that camp. And then just imagine the soggy ground below these boardwalks after a few days of rain, the hard work getting even more dangerous... :( (At least I think that often this was the REAL atmosphere in a logging camp. Not so romantic like we model railroaders see it! :D )

The effect of depth of the landscape is absolutely stunning! You mastered the transition from 3d scene to 2d background perfectly! (The only giveaway are the shadows of the pines on the background, but this is an effect of the &@#+!*% foto flashes which is very hard to avoid. :mad: ) How deep is the scene in reality?

Thanks for sharing the evolution of this camp from rough prototypes to the finished scene with us. :) :) :)

Ron

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Robin,

That's a terrific scene! You've managed to pack a lot in a relatively small space and it all looks so convincing!
Viva carboard! :) Nice use of the backdrop mural to add a lot of depth!

Ralph

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Ron, the backdrop curves behind the camp as it is in a corner. The max depth from track to back is 20inches.
I am sure pleased I decided to add a logging area to my layout. It has added a whole new interest. Now having actually been through the rocky mountains and seeing the results of clear cutting by loggers I can't say I like what they do.
Thanks for all the support you all provide

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
OK for those who want to see the corner. The backdrop is 1/8th masonite. I painted the wall black so you can't see the actual corner but the masonite curves to fit.

Attachments

• corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 200

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Robin Sure looks realistic and those photos do it justice The speed at which you produce never fails to amaze me I have been working on one cabin for two weeks, and you produce the whole campin a week !!!!!!!!! good show:) :) :)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Robin, as I said before: That's perfect corner treatment!

But I have a question: What kind of glue did you use to stick that paper (?) background to the Masonite?

I already tried several kinds of glue for paper backgrounds (Instant Horizons by Walthers) on Masonite. Either the paper warped (with water based glues). Or when I used glues with organic solvents (like Rubber cement) after half a year there appeared unsightly dark splotches on the sky background (apart from the strong smelling and the need for good ventilation when mounting the background!)

Ron

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Ron, after trying many types of glue that gave disappointing results like bleed through or warping like you have experienced, I finally found a glue that holds well and doesn't bleed through.
It is ELMERS all-purpose glue stick. I get them at Wal-Mart. Two 15g sticks to a card. I don't remember the price but much cheaper than rubber cement

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thanks for the hint, Robin.

We don't get ELMER glues here in Switzerland. But from your desription I guess that you mean the white glue sticks used in the office for glueing papers together. They are in a lipstick-like tube (however lipstick for a BIG mouth! :D :D :D). I never thought of these, but I'll give them a try. Thanks again!

Ron