pictures of pictures

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by cn nutbar, Apr 13, 2006.

1. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello all---i don't have a scanner,so i've been attempting to take photos of some of my photographs using my digital camera---even though the images appear a bit muted,they still don't look too bad ???? here's a selection of steam engines for your review

the top photo shows cpr 2816 taken during a tour to hamilton ontario in 2004,strasburg #90 in east strasburg pa.,and cnr 3254 at scranton pa.hope you enjoy
  2. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Wow I am impressed. You did a fantastic job.
  3. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

These are really cool :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Yeah I've done that before because I still have yet to get a scanner. They actually come out pretty decent surprisingly enough.
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

1) Are these prints or slides you are taking pictures of?

2) If prints, how large are they?

3) How are you handling the lighting? I would assume not with a flash :)

they look great. I have tried taking photos of some paintings, and have very limited success. Of course, the paintings are too large for a scanner.

6. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

good day everyone---thanks for your feedback---kevin,all the photos are 4 by 6 special lighting/no flash---because they were glossy finish,i tried to avoid glare by avoiding overhead lighting---basically trial and error technique---believe me,there were many rejects---this photo shows the glaring effect

7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Those look great. It's surprising what you can do if you put your mind and equipment to work. :thumb: :thumb:

Some of those muted shots should be able to be sharpened up a bit using a photo app. Even when I take a normal picture I try the "auto levels" or "auto contrast" features to see what they will do to a photo. Some apps will allow you to reduce glare and "sharpen" an image. Sometimes these effects don't help or don't look right, so I just "undo" the changes.
  8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Pictures.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: