Ottawa Science & Tech Locos to move?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
As part of the redevelopment of Lebreton Flats, just west of downtown Ottawa, a number of museums are considering new homes. This may include the Science and Tech Museum according to this Ottawa Citizen story:

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/news/story.asp?id=356C8FC8-C4F1-46D7-90B3-B4E2A8FCA2AB

Andrew

(The photo was much nicer in the print version - it took up most of the space above the fold of the front page of the City section.)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hmmm...

Mike - did not hear that... Do you have a source? The S&T museum has a great collection. It would be too bad if it goes somewhere else (at least from my perspective). Don't know what kind of connection there is to Hamilton, other than political for these locos.

Chris - Yes I think it is good. The current site is inconvenient, and there is no other reason to go out that way. Putting it near downtown, near other attractions makes more sense. Also, it is the last rail link to "downtown", so would make moving the locos easier. Maybe they'll get an excursion train going that could cross the Ottawa River and tour Gatineau, as the rail line they refer to crosses at Lemeiux Island into Quebec.

Wow - that would be great. Ride to the museum on the O-Train, check out the static display locos, and then take a trip on a functional steamer.... Dream dream dream!

Andrew

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Just joking, Andrew, about Sheila swiping the trains for Hamilton...[I hope]. :(

After all, at least a million $ was spent recently JUST TO OPEN a channel, so the warship Haida could be moved from Toronto to Hamilton. I don't begrudge the $ for repairs to the ship.
regards / Mike ;)