opinions

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I have a problem with indecision, which probably a bunch of you would like to have. My layout is 7 1/2 X 24, with a 2' opening in the middle. I have just bit the bullet and got metal wheels, enough for about 110 cars. In some of the past threads I have seen discussions about longest trains. With 40'' radius curves on the outer track I have a P2K E8/9 pulling over 70 cars. A Challenger does it, as does an Atlas RS (3?). It's a 6 axle. All cars are weighted to 2 3/4 to 4+ oz.

I've got to tear this benchwork apart and rebuild, as these old bones don't crawl under very well. Oh yes, one side is against a wall so I have no choice but to crawl.

What I'm wondering is, is anyone out there interested enough for me to continue experimenting to see how many cars a loco can pull? If not, I'll quit now and start tearing it down. :confused:

Lynn

F

Fred_M

You exceed the point where I quit already bud. I stopped at 55 being pulled by a trainline dash8-40b (4 axles) by walthers. It had no problem with that many on a 1/2 % grade. Fred

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
hey its you layout if you cant use it and have fun with it anymore start a new one thats what this hobby is about. we all thank you for your reshurch but nun of us want youto get hurt going under your layout and i think people would understand why you want to do the rebuld. :thumb:

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Thanks folks for your thoughts. I've got those 70 cars done, but waiting on the wheels for the next 40-50 cars. I'll try to get some pictures soon. I believe I'll go ahead and see how many it will go, as I don't have to duck under unless a disconnect or derail on the back side. That was the purpose of this benchwork originally, but hook/horn couplers started pulling apart at 95 cars, and plastic wheels didn't help. I've had a lot of kids come to see trains, and a long one sure bugs their eyes out. It has helped me get a fair number enthused about model RRing.

Lynn

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
a couple more

These are of a heavy loaded double header. There are 33 cars, 6-8 oz each. Also 3 European trains I found somewhere.

Lynn

Attachments

• double-header.JPG
    double-header.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 135
  • english.JPG
    english.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 123
  • maybe.JPG
    maybe.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 133

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It will be a shame to tear that all down Lynn but I can understand about crawling under. What kind of layout will you build to replace this one. As far as experimenting to see what loco can pull what, go ahead as I am sure it will take some time to come up with a satifactory layout plan before you tear this one down

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
hit the peak

Well, I finally satisfied my curiosity. The P2K E8/9 will pull 100 cars, at full power, an estimated scale 40-45 MPH. There is 28" between the caboose and loco nose, with a train about 51' long. The Challenger pulls it, but starts spinning at a little less than half throttle. With only 22" from nose to tail, all I need is one coupler to fail for disaster, big time. I'll try a little weight in it before I give up. When I pulled 102 cars before, about a third were less than 2 oz, but these are at least 2 1/2 oz on up. All I've got now is ideas for my next layout.

Lynn

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
That is cool lynn...!

At our modular set ups, we often see how big a train we can pull - I think our record is about 68 cars or so (limited by the length of the reverse loop), so you have us beat!

How high is your bench work? Can you "roll under" on an office chair - maybe take the back off it? I have seen this trick used to great effect.

Andrew

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey, look at all those PC box cars on the wall shelves! :) I can relate to the duck under blues. I changed my layout's configuartion for the same reasons; sore back, bumped head. I'm glad I did!
Ralph

davido

Sep 10, 2004
heatwave, alabama
TEAR IT DOWN??? just split it long ways, push one side against the other wall and turn the structures around. save yourself a lot of down time starting over.

i have had to tear down to do "hurricane ivan" repairs and i am about to go nuts.

david

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
tear it down

I thank everybody for your opinions 'cause that's what I asked for. The benchwork is 34" from the floor, and the top 39". If I try to roll under on a chair, the bending would be worse than crawling, so that's out.
Several reasons for starting over: all tracks are oval, long straights. I want to change that with curves and variations. Very little scenery is done, mostly just buildings setting there, so I lose very little on that. Everything is perfectly flat and so I'll want a few very slight grades. Also, I had this one up and going before I found the gauge. I have learned scads about a lot of things since I came here so I can incorporate ideas I never dreamed of before.
A small rundown, I've had 5 heart attacks, with an artificial valve and a pacemaker/defibrillator, 3 back surgeries, and an artificial knee. Theoretically I should be paralized from the waist down, but by the grace of God I am still walking.
If I can get on a soapbox, I'd like to tell all that I have the highest praise for the work of the moderators. The Gauge has helped me thru many a low time and I truly appreciate all the threads and entries. Your opinions helped me tremendously.

The latest, The P2K pulls 100 cars about a good speed at full throttle. The Challenger pulls, but starts slipping at about 1/3 throttle. It will need some weight. There is 22" nose to tail with the Challenger, and 28" with the diesel. The train is 51' long, not counting the loco.

I will, or hope to have a long train of some sort on the new layout just to impress kids when they come look. When I get a new layout idea I'll put it on here to get opinion and help. I'll stick with DC 'cause this old dog not only can't learn new tricks, he can't even remember the old ones.

Lynn

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
G`day Yellowlynn, sounds like to me you have already desided to pull your layout down, and start again, thats fine it is your layout. I think you need to be asured you were making the right choice.
If the layout is not working for you now then it is time to revamp it or rebuild, put in those slight grades, and add a few curves to the strait aways and do the screnery, but above all my friend have a ball, and enjoy yourself. keep us posted.. have a good one..steve