Opinions on Trix

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Grotto, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Grotto

Grotto Member

I am looking for a diesel to go with my circa 50's 60's layout and I saw one that looks great and has a great price of $75.00 Canadian or $66.95 U.S :thumb: It is by a German-Austrian firm called TRIX that people here seem to respect for their HO models, but no one seems to know anything about their N scale. :cry: I don't want to buy something that they offloaded to some unindustrialized country and they just stamped their name on, as I've had this way before by a reputable instrument maker.

Maybe your the one that knows about their small N scale offering. Please share the wealth. announce1
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

My circa early 70s Trix 0-6-0 switcher creeps tie-to-tie at just over 30 seconds and pulls 8 cars up a train set trestle. Not bad for a 30+ year old gal.

Attached Files:

• bmc2.JPG
      File size:
      54.7 KB
  3. Grotto

Grotto Member

Is that an N scale? I saw on a web site a Trix HO that look similar to that.
    30 Years eh. Fine Bavarian engineering for sure.
  4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Do you keep it in some kind of air-tight argon filled container when you're not running it, or something?

I know you know this, but don't ever let go of that treasure.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Yes, it is N scale, one of the first ones you could get when N was in its infancy. Pretty state of the art for its day too with separate handrails, a working headlight and marker lights on the tender. This one was barely used when I got it.
  6. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

When I was into N scale, I had a Trix SW1500. The thing ran like a champ, not bad detail for the times(Late 80's, early 90's). The only thing I didn't like was that the weight was in the cab, which meant that there was no interior detail.
  7. woopud

woopud New Member

Trix = MiniTrix and is the best in modeltrains like Marklin, Fleischmann and LGB which are all made in Germany/Austria.

8. engineshop

engineshop Member

As far as I know, Minitrix still is produced in Germany. It is not outsourced to a second and third world country like the US models. But I could be wrong since I have not checked their website lately.