Old time photo?

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by shamus, Mar 8, 2003.

1. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Trying to make one of my photo's look a little old time, so I played around on the computer and came up with this. What do you think.

Attached Files:

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

I think you you did a great job.

It looks good. Old B/W phot`s are realy something.
    To recreate that scene is fab.;)
  3. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Great but,

My suggestion is if the rope arround the picture was not in color but black and white it should be better.
    As a second tought if the picture and the rope would be in sepia, that would remaind me of the pictures I saw at my late grandfathers home, telling his life years ago.
    Just my opinion.

4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Beautiful Shamus, Just beautiful. If I had any $$ I would ask what you wanted for it.
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Nice work Shamus! It looks like you found that picture in the Badger Creek archives! Cool effect!
  6. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Excellent picture and also beautiful arrangement with the rope. I like it!

B&W pics are one thing, but changing this into a sepia print gives it the real touch of an old photograph, say, from the beginning 20th century.

I used to tone b&w photographs to a sepia color in the darkroom by treating them with some chemicals. Today it is of course much more comfortable with a computer - and it stinks a lot less! :D :D :D

Just got such a pic down from the wall and scanned it in. Only now I detected that it aged even more, aquiring a blue-greyish hue in some parts. Now it look REALLY old. (BTW, I made it in 1978.)

This is the archbar truck of a D&RGW boxcar, standing on a disply track beside the Gunnison CO depot in 1977 - together with C-16 #278 and a Caboose. (Note that there is no fishplate between the rails, which aren't nailed to the ties, either! Sloppy trackwork, even on a display track, I'd say! :()

Attached Files:

7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Ron, Really nice photo of an archbar truck from that boxcar.Love the details.
  8. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

That's top notch Shamus, you captured the whole atmosphere of old time logging. It's something to drool over! ... (drooling here :) )

9. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Shamus,

You did one fine job there. I would love to have somthing like that hanging in my layout room. Ron ;)
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Ride 'em cowboy yeeeeeha! Fantastic work! Like your shot too, Ron, just don't get your foot under that rail on the left;it's already sagging!

Good to see the loggin forum hopping again!
  11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Well, this city-slicker has finally wandered into the logging domain and I'm glad I did. That's a really neat treatment Shamus! A nice mix of old-fashioned and new-fangled tech! Isn't Photoshop fun?

:D Val
  12. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Re: Kewl!

Gee, Val, I figured a schmardt gal like you was lurkin in the back garound raht here all along. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This is where all the real action is! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]