NS in Ontario

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by CP9300, May 12, 2001.

1. CP9300

CP9300 Member

Not many know that Norfolk Southern runs in Ontario (reason for this board post). 4 Daily trains, 327/8 343/4 run from Buffalo and Detroit respectfully to St Thomas Ontario.

Here is 328 ready to head for Southwold yard to pick up the cars, and head for Buffalo.

[​IMG]

Jon
  2. DaveCN5623

DaveCN5623 Member

NS stands for NO SH*TTERS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. DaveCN5623

DaveCN5623 Member

[​IMG]

I spotted this NS unit at Flint Jon
  4. CP_milwaukee

CP_milwaukee Member

Nice pics Jon and Dave!

------------------
    Drew
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A perfect close up Jon. A good picture too Dave. My friend Vincent Mariner models the NS system on his HO layout. It is many years since I lived in St. Thomas and in those days the C&O was in action.
    Robin
  6. George

George Member

Guys,

Is the NS running over the old New York Central trackage, or the C&O's?

Perhaps they could paint those ugly things into CN colours while they're stopped at the border? [​IMG]

George.
  7. CP9300

CP9300 Member

For George,

343/344 run this route through Ontario

Detroit River Tunnel, CN CASO Sub, CSX Sarnia Sub to Chatham, CN Chatham sub to Glencoe, Paynes Sub Glencoe to St Thomas.

327/328 have this routing

CN Talbot Sub (former London and Port Stanley Railway) to London, CN Dundas Sub London to Bayview, CN Gimsby sub to Buffalo.

Jon

C&O is gone from St Thomas, and CASO is just about a glorified Spur now [​IMG]
  8. George

George Member

The Detroit River Tunnel is now CN, but it was built by Michigan Southern? It became New York Central/Penn Central/CR....

Am I thinking of the right place? What's the heritage of the tunnel?

George.
  9. DaveCN5623

DaveCN5623 Member

I am not sure about the tunnel in Detroit , I only see the one at Sarnia - Port Huron .
  10. D&H7312

D&H7312 Guest

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by D&H7312 (edited 05-15-2001).]
  11. George

George Member

Looks like the cored out the right bore for double stacks. I wonder how they reinforced it?

George.
  12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That picture of the tunnel entrance gives me an idea for my model railroad. It could make the railroad look like it's going on forever but could be used as an interchange or a staging area. Thanks for posting it D&H7312.

------------------
    Robin
    NARA member #2
    http://members.nbci.com/Matthyro MAT
  13. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Jon Nice Photo
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I'm glad to hear they running respectfully over our Canadian rails. Nothin' worse than a disrespectful train!! :D :D

btw - nice pic!

Val
  15. NS/PCfan

NS/PCfan New Member

That is one heck of a nice close up picture of that Dash 9. I almost drooled when i saw the pic of it. Its common for the NS to run in Ontario, since they got part of the old NYC.

Go NS!!!!!!!!